• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Young Birder (3 Viewers)

ha ha ha ha ;)

Sorry that wasn't very nice of me, it is most unfortunate that you failed to see the Little crake.

Do you realise how stupid that makes you sound?;)

I had 7 species of warblers around rye meads and amwell today with a possible 8th, pair of cuckoo's, pair of hobby's, 4 little ringed plovers and a grass snake. I'll bet a fiver on Amwell being a seriously hot reserve in a few years time, it's got proper potential.

cheers
Steve

Sorry to hear about that Joe I spose I was right about it dissapearing was hoping t be wrong but never mind u will see another one soon enuff. At least u didnt dip the Black Lark that had been seen that morning lol.

Count yourself well off: I smashed my 'scope up today ;)

Seems to have been a bad day for scopes - mine somehow survived me failing to run down a steep dune resulting in an apparent attempt to impale myself on it, and Simeon's broke in half!

Great day though!

I've smashed my scope about 3 times in the last few months.

On the Pagham Harbour BF bash yesterday I got a Kentish Plover! Also Cuckoo, Whimbrel and Little Tern.

Just quick reminder- send your results of the young birders bird race to [email protected] preferable by the end of this week. Thanks.

Nice one with the Kentish David, only had one up here in Norfolk, they've seemed a bit thin on the ground in recent years (or it just could be me...)

Connor

i dont even have a scope lol
just now saving up for better bins! the ones i have are rubbish and have hit the ground loads of time. lol
Great birds - this weekend was the most boring of my life - sitting inside with a cold when even my non-birder dad saw 2 golden orioles and there were some other good birds about!!

Finally snapped and decided I really should make the effort to see the Whiskered Tern at Holkham this afternoon, Very nice it was too, and bonus of 1st summer male Blue-headed Yellow Wagtail. See my website for report......

Connor

Last edited:
Lol how many of you participated in the YBBR? And David how many species did you get? Would be very interested to know totals, Dave maybe you want to post them on this thread once you've gathered the info from everyone?

Lol how many of you participated in the YBBR? And David how many species did you get? Would be very interested to know totals, Dave maybe you want to post them on this thread once you've gathered the info from everyone?

Funnily enough I was gonna say the same thing...

Sorry ended up not particiapting in the YBBR... Too many other things to do!

Sure Connor. You were on Blakeney with James and me. Why didn't you just use the totals for that? I did! Who else participated? I only got 62 species in the cley square but thats because I only did Bakeney - not Cley marsh! Oh well...

Last edited:
Because I couldnt be bothered! The word pointless springs to mind...sorry. If it had been on the patch I might have considered it for curiosity... but my day listing enthusiasm is minimal!!!

Being lazy wont get you anywhere connor - unless you're a twitcher! If you'd done the bird race on Blakeney you would have been looking harder for extra species, therefore you would have had more chance of finding the rare... Anyway, whats the difference in birding the patch and birding Blakeney?

Looks like one Mr. David Campbell was the only one participating in his own bird race. Very novel, equally unsuccessful. Never mind, there's Rock Pipits to be ID'ed and Garden Warblers to string. See you guys around!

From what I've heard in the last couple of days there's been a fair amount of people doing it.
I'm only sharing the scoreboard etc with everyone who took part, I know the inevitable response to this from Jyothi and Steve but I'm doing this anyway.

Jyothi, this forum is not meant to make others feel uncomfortable (and with no good reason either).

Being lazy wont get you anywhere connor - unless you're a twitcher! If you'd done the bird race on Blakeney you would have been looking harder for extra species, therefore you would have had more chance of finding the rare... Anyway, whats the difference in birding the patch and birding Blakeney?

Afraid I'm going to have to pull this post apart! How we being lazy help you if you are a twitcher :smoke: No I wouldnt have been looking any harder for extra species as Ive already said my enthusiam for day lisiting is non existent. Checking through everything-yes. Recording each species seen and tallying it at the end for a day list total-no. Birding the patch- would be genuinely intersted in species diversity and comparing it to other peoples and my own totals to see whether there is a particular peak in an expected passage time and for other scientific reasons eg. number of migrants staying onto to breed (in terms of no. of species). Birding Blakeney- once or twice a year, nothing to compare to, a one of. Thus the former would have more point in recording species nos. IMO.

Because I couldnt be bothered! The word pointless springs to mind...sorry. If it had been on the patch I might have considered it for curiosity... but my day listing enthusiasm is minimal!!!

To use your own words Connor - "filthy twitcher".[I need an emoticon of a guy mooning to insert here]

I did the sluice and got 54 species - I'll try to send you my list soon David, but I've got to revise... Paid off I got about 5 yearers. On the negative side I got eaten by a horse.

Afraid I'm going to have to pull this post apart! How we being lazy help you if you are a twitcher :smoke: No I wouldnt have been looking any harder for extra species as Ive already said my enthusiam for day lisiting is non existent. Checking through everything-yes. Recording each species seen and tallying it at the end for a day list total-no. Birding the patch- would be genuinely intersted in species diversity and comparing it to other peoples and my own totals to see whether there is a particular peak in an expected passage time and for other scientific reasons eg. number of migrants staying onto to breed (in terms of no. of species). Birding Blakeney- once or twice a year, nothing to compare to, a one of. Thus the former would have more point in recording species nos. IMO.

Going to have to pull this post apart!
1. Being lazy may not help as a twitcher, but it certainly has few ill effects as long as you are being lazy on the computer.
2. Your day listing enthusiasm should be hyper existent, as there is a little thing called BirdTrack which I believe you have heard of - a scientific project on an altogether larger and more significant scale than patch recording can ever accomplish (though this is also useful, granted), so day listing is something everybody should do. I know you are going to find the hole in this, so I shall patch it up before you get there - make separate lists for each site!
3. The punkbirders do the point regularly

:t:

Tennis tomorrow?

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back