• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (18 Viewers)

Has anyone else noticed masses of swifts this evening? There were over 100 over my house a few minutes ago. Presumably the stormy weather brought a lot of insects with it.

That's the DINTY system for naming tetrads - basically devide a 10km square into 25 smaller tetrads and label them A-Z (omitting O) thus
E J P U Z
D I N T Y
C H M S X
B G L R W
A F K Q V

This means A is (if the big square is TG31) TG3010, and Z is TG3818
and F is indeed TG3210 - but I didn't think I was using that system anywhere on the site?

That's the DINTY system for naming tetrads - basically devide a 10km square into 25 smaller tetrads and label them A-Z (omitting O) thus
E J P U Z
D I N T Y
C H M S X
B G L R W
A F K Q V

This means A is (if the big square is TG31) TG3010, and Z is TG3818
and F is indeed TG3210 - but I didn't think I was using that system anywhere on the site?

Not sure what system you were using HD but that is what it would have been if it had been data for the new bird atlas. I would have preferred a straightforward 6 figure grid ref for the latter which to my mind is easier to work out.

A very enjoyable day out today and my first one back in Norfolk after a trip to the Lake District...

I managed to connect with the Buff-Breasted Sandpiper at Cley on North Scrape along with 62 Black-Tailed Godwits, 2 Spotted Redshanks and 13 Ruff. From Daukes hide we enjoyed views of 9 Spoonbill! This is the biggest group I have ever seen!

Cley visitor centre had some welcome (but rather expensive) chocolate cake which Connor and I couldn't resist!

Later at the Monties site I quickly recognised the song of a Quail, close to the concrete pad. Another bird soon joined in, but no Monties appeared unfortunately.

Below are 2 pictures of an Avocet at Cley. I think I was really rather lucky with these shots, as they were only taken with my phone!

Attachments

• Avocet.jpg
    Avocet.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 96
  • Avocet 2.jpg
    Avocet 2.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 99
Titchwell July 8th

Today's highlights

Buff breasted sandpiper - 1 briefly on brackish marsh @ 14:55 before flushed by a grey heron and flew high east
Red crested pochard - female with 5 young on grazing marsh pool
Spotted redshank - 1 on brackish marsh, 2 on fresh marsh
Ruff - 3 on fresh marsh
Hobby - 1 west over reserve
Marsh tit - 1 on Meadow Trail

Paul

Salhouse Broad, Woodbastwick Fens & Marshes and Bure Marshes?

Looks like I've secured a weeks lodgings in the Brundall area and wondering wether it's worth exploring (by bicycle) the above area, I've never been to this area before but from the few pics of it I've found on the net it looks a bit touristy so might be a bit quiet on the bird front? Shame there doesn't appear to be a footpath from Salhouse Broad along the river to Hoveton and Wroxham Broads?

Anyone familiar with the area......or should I just stick with Strumps and Buckenham RSPB?

Matt

Salhouse Broad, Woodbastwick Fens & Marshes and Bure Marshes?

Looks like I've secured a weeks lodgings in the Brundall area and wondering wether it's worth exploring (by bicycle) the above area, I've never been to this area before but from the few pics of it I've found on the net it looks a bit touristy so might be a bit quiet on the bird front? Shame there doesn't appear to be a footpath from Salhouse Broad along the river to Hoveton and Wroxham Broads?

Anyone familiar with the area......or should I just stick with Strumps and Buckenham RSPB?

Matt
You could always pay a visit to Ranworth. There is a nice boadwalk through the reeds with a viewing platform and the NWT visitors centre at the end overlooking the broad. Probably nothing unusual about but the other week the reeds were full of warblers. Nice tea and cakes at the church by the way, if that is your sort of thing, and the church tower is well worth a visit if you haven't done it before (take your camera). I have seen Kingfishers in the dykes of the lovely garden next to the pub.

Ron

Last edited:
Nice tea and cakes at the church by the way, if that is your sort of thing, and the church tower is well worth a visit if you haven't done it before (take your camera). I have seen Kingfishers in the dykes of the lovely garden next to the pub.

Ron

Thanks for the suggestion there, Ron

Old churches and all that good stuff are right up my street, and having checked out the link below with regards to the view from the top of St Helens....I will most definately be having some of that!!!

The Broad and it's nature trails etc look good too!!

http://www.tournorfolk.co.uk/ranworth.html#church

Matt

Thanks for the suggestion there, Ron

Old churches and all that good stuff are right up my street, and having checked out the link below with regards to the view from the top of St Helens....I will most definately be having some of that!!!

The Broad and it's nature trails etc look good too!!

http://www.tournorfolk.co.uk/ranworth.html#church

Matt
There is an interesting walk by Ranworth and South Walsham Broads on that link you posted which I didn't know about. Thanks for that Matt. You might find some other ideas on the NWT website:

http://www.norfolkwildlifetrust.org.uk/nature reserves/index.htm

Fairhaven Trust is a nice place to visit, although there is an admission charge. At the booking-in kiosk you can get a key to a separate little nature reserve over the road at the far end of the gardens. I haven't been to that bit but it always looks rather tempting.

Ron

Hope the Buff breasted Sandpiper sticks around until tomorrow - was unable to go in the evenings this week as social do's on I couldn't get out of - missed the White Winged Black Tern aswell!!!!! Stunning picture of it on Surfbirds I see!

RBA reports storm petrols, arctic skuas and a Pom early this morning from Weybourne too!

If anyone is interested, Beverley Knight is the highlight of Festival too on Saturday evening in the finale see: http://www.festivaltoo.co.uk/lineup.php for details - its all free in the market place, King's Lynn and you need to get there early!

Best Wishes Penny:girl:

Last edited:
Matt,

The walk (you might be able to cycle) from the car park to Salhouse Broad is a nice walk but does tend to get a bit busy. The Broad is a regular mooring spot and is a local walk during the school holidays for those with children.

Two places that are worth a visit are Cockshoot Broad (part of Bure marshes) (heard a Bittern there earlier this year)and Upton. Upton is usually a good bet for Barn Owls. I have seen as many as seven and often see three or four. If you want peace and quiet Upton is the place; the car park is not easy to find. Both places are a bit hit and miss but you might be lucky.

I agree with what has been said about Ranworth. You can easily spend most of the day there visiting the centre and the church.

Derek

Thanks for the additional info and suggestions Ron and Derek!

I'm familiar with Upton as I have an aunt who lives in the village and often used to take myself off down to the riverside walk for a sneaky puff or two on family visits as a youngster!!

As for Barn Owls, got plenty of those in the village!!!;)

Here's one of them from tonights stroll...

Matt

Attachments

• meadow walk 007 (Custom).jpg
    meadow walk 007 (Custom).jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 146
Hi Matt. Out of interest did you get any Short Eared Owls and or Dark Breasted Barn Owls in your village this year? I haven't seen any reports of them from you.

Ron

Hi Ron

As you remember, the winter before last was exceptional regarding the Owls and various other raptors on my local patch. Highlights included 3 SEO's, 2 Alba Barn Owls, 1 Dark Breasted Barn Owl, 1 LEO aswell as passing Peregrine, Merlin and 1 female Marsh Harrier all managed to cramb onto a single 60 acre grazing common!! However this last last winter passage was an absolute wash out!!!

Only the resident Barn Owls were seen, despite regular visits to the site no further SEO's or Dark Breasted have been seen!

Fun while it lasted though!!!

Matt

Saturday 11th July

Arrived at Cley, North Hide to have excellent views of the Buff breasted Sandpiper at 9.35am.

Dauke's Hide: 7 Spoonbills, 1 sparrowhawk, marsh harriers and usual waders.

Kelling Water Meadows - 5 common whitethroats in one tree. Egyptian goose, sand martins skimming over the water.

Best Wishes Penny:girl:

I will be staying in Wells-next-the-Sea this weekend. Sadly not a birding break but hope to have an evening (and early morning) free to walk nearby. I'd love to see some owls as I don't get a chance often to see them where I live - city centre and all that. Are there any nice walks around this village that are good for owls? Any other gen on wells would also be very much appreciated for any other interesting birds.

Thanks,

Andrew

Titchwell July 14th

Today's highlights

Spotted redshank - 3 on fresh marsh
Eider - 25 offshore
Red kite - 1 over Fen Hide early morning
Med gull - adult on fresh marsh
Marsh tit - 1 on feeders

Paul

I will be staying in Wells-next-the-Sea this weekend. Sadly not a birding break but hope to have an evening (and early morning) free to walk nearby. I'd love to see some owls as I don't get a chance often to see them where I live - city centre and all that. Are there any nice walks around this village that are good for owls? Any other gen on wells would also be very much appreciated for any other interesting birds.

Thanks,

Andrew

The walk down from the town centre to the beach (along the quayside) is a good one for common waders. At the northern end you can then walk west through the pines to Holkham (Along the North Norfolk Coast Footpath at about TF9045). The fields south of this path are good for Barn Owl, and there are probably some that hunt over Holkham Freshmarsh too. In the evening you may see large amounts of Little Egrets coming in to roost. To the east of Wells is Warham marshes, but they are more productive in winter.

Regards,
James

Thanks James, much appreciated.
Andrew

The walk down from the town centre to the beach (along the quayside) is a good one for common waders. At the northern end you can then walk west through the pines to Holkham (Along the North Norfolk Coast Footpath at about TF9045). The fields south of this path are good for Barn Owl, and there are probably some that hunt over Holkham Freshmarsh too. In the evening you may see large amounts of Little Egrets coming in to roost. To the east of Wells is Warham marshes, but they are more productive in winter.

Regards,
James

Hello,
I have a stay in Norfolk this weekend attending a wedding but have convinced the wife to stay for Sunday and the Monday to go birding!

We will be based in Diss.
I have not seen a great deal of birds (175 I think) but would like to see some birds that I probably not see where I live - Merseyside - i.e. Montagu's Harrier, Turtle Dove, golden Oriele, Crane etc etc

I was planning a trip to Lakenheath Fen one day but am unsure as to the best bet for the other day ....

Can anybody please please give me a few pointers?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back