• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Is this a Bonelli's Warbler - Sudan (1 Viewer)

tomjenner

I took these poor photos this evening near khartoum and I think they might be a Bonelli's Warbler (it would be an Eastern one here). Unfortunately the bird did not show well and did not show the wings or rump properly. I think they are all of the same bird, but I cannot be sure as there was a short gap when it was out of view. The head pattern looks good to me, but is it conclusive from these shots? Any help appreciated.

Tom

Attachments

• Possible Bonellis 1.jpg
    Possible Bonellis 1.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 121
  • Possible Bonellis 2.jpg
    Possible Bonellis 2.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 86
  • Possible Bonellis 3.jpg
    Possible Bonellis 3.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 138
On enlargement..I believe that I can discern an ''olivey'' tint to the secondaries..thus allowing for the ''awful'' lighting..and the supportive head pattern!..I might just lean towards orientalis.....although better shots of the wing..might tell all?

cheers

Looking at the head pattern, the colour of legs and feet, and the apparent width of the legs, I get the strong impression that the bird in photo 3 is not the same as in the first two photos.

The strong dark eyestripe, both in front as well as behind the eye, and the yellow tinge on the supercilium make the first bird (first two photos) look like a Willow Warbler.

The other bird (in photo 3) seems to have a head pattern, plumage colour, whitish tail side, and shape mostly like Eastern Olivaceous Warbler, but more photographs would be welcome.

Hi Tom

Tough stuff. The first two look too strongly marked around the face for Bonelli's. A minor detail to add to smiths and JANJ's comments is that the bird in the third pic looks like it has a white outer tail feather, which supports the idea it is an Olivaceous. I have no idea whether you get any of the resident African forms there but I guess Eastern is a likely migrant?

John

Thanks for all the comments. I had wondered whether or not to include the third picture, as I was unsure whether or not it was the same individual. Eastern Olivaceous Warbler is a common resident bird at this location, so well done Smiths for picking that up. The other bird does seem very greyish to me, but I am prepared to accept that it must be a Willow Warbler.

Tom

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back