• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

ID for a bird seen in South / Central Turkey (1 Viewer)

Can anyone identify this bird for me please. My brother sent me these photos but I've drawn a blank. Many thanks

Attachments

• 132.JPG
    132.JPG
    162.5 KB · Views: 120
thanks for that both of you-I think you're right. What has confused me is that he also sent me another fairly poor quality picture of a bird with a white eye ring which I assumed was the same bird but I'm not so sure now. I've attached it just in case you can make it out

Attachments

• 129.JPG
    129.JPG
    175.4 KB · Views: 86
Thanks. I think you're right on that one as well-I didn't realise it had a range in Turkey. Collins bird guide lists 4 bulbul species but not this one

Last edited:
The new edition of the Collins guide shows the range of White-spectacled Bulbul extending across southern Turkey.

Agree with Ruppell's Warbler and White-spectacled Bulbul. The Bulbul has only (relatively) recently moved north into Sth E Turkey so, if you don't have a field guide that is fairly newly published, it'll not show the present distribution.

Chris

To be fair the picture you were sent has vegetation obscuring the birds distinct malar stripe so if you have not seen the species the ID might not occur to you.

Laurie:t:

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back