• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The commonest bird in your garden at the moment? (1 Viewer)

Starlings - House Sparrows - Greenfinches - Blue Tits (due to newly fledged family from one of my nestboxes!) - Great Tits - Collared Doves, etc.

Such a variety? It would be interesting to keep this post going (Mr moderator Sticky please!) as then you could compare what birds leave and what birds arrive as we go through our seasons. I would imagine this also could be a help to the RSPB ?
I dont Know but if by telling them a Garden Update as the season moves on then anything is worth a try.
And it will be interesting for us to see what species also increase and ones that de-crease (is that a word?).

Its Summer now (give or take a bit) and i mainly have sparrows and starlings, a lovely robin with her two youngsters and a Blackbird with her two , the odd chaffinch, bullfinch greenfinch.
I have noticed a big increase in Pied Wagtails? There was just one a month ago and now its four and its not her offspring either..I am not complaining as they are bold little birds and remind me of the Robin.
I am finding Starlings although noisy and do tend to take over also bold , i think they are quite intellegent too. They are always up for a Squabble and will have one anywhere. They had a big row in the bath yesterday 10 of them , very funny to watch, they then all piped down and drank the water.
Its like having 30 odd kids in you garden and noisy ones at that. I wonder if they will hang around or when they will leave thats why i thought it would be a good idea for a sticky.
Does anyone agree? If not its OK it was just a suggestion.

Commonest for me is Greenfinch - at the moment I have two on a sunflower seed feeder and one in a tree. There's also a Blue Tit flying in to a peanut feeder, but they're nothing like as regular as the Greenfinches.

common birds

Free said:
It would be interesting to see which is the commonest bird in each ones garden in differant parts of the World and in England in which county.

I am in Kent and its the Sparrow, No complaints i love em!

Anyone else?
Hello,
The most common birds here are house sparrows, starlings, house finch, downy woodpecker, and goldfinches. The first three are considered invasive speices here.
St Paul, Minnesota , Upper Midwest USA

Upstate NY, USA
Right now a huge family of Common Grackles. They were terrorizing a Starling the other day, which we have a lot of, but they don't come to the feeders.

Squirrels are the most common bird that we get in our yard, actually... ;)

Roslin, Scotland.

As of today, Chaffinch. Which seem to have fledged quite early!! So a whole family of them kicking about just now.

Previously Blue Tit. And squirrel.

Pied Wagtails are taking over!!! I like em, quite bold little fella's. Got the mealworms out for the first time and the starlings wafted them up. So i put the cage on but nobody else wants to no. Not even the Robin with her two youngsters.
i never see Robins on feeders so are the mealworms to high? I have just lowered them to about 3 ft.

Free said:
Such a variety? It would be interesting to keep this post going (Mr moderator Sticky please!) as then you could compare what birds leave and what birds arrive as we go through our seasons. I would imagine this also could be a help to the RSPB ?
I dont Know but if by telling them a Garden Update as the season moves on then anything is worth a try.
And it will be interesting for us to see what species also increase and ones that de-crease (is that a word?).

You can also input garden bird information on the BTO website.

Supporters input a weekly count of their garden birds and the BTO anaylse this data for long-term trends

http://www.bto.org/birdtrack/index.htm

and for the garden bird section:

http://www.bto.org/gbw/index.htm

As of this weekend our Great Tits fledged and suddenly there was an explosion of chicks of all sorts in our garden. Dozens & dozens of Great, Blue & Long Tail Tit chicks were joind by Blackbird, Dunnock, Greenfinch, Starling and a couple of Magpie Chicks.

Certainly a great time of the year with all these young birds around.

Magic moment at 07:50am this morning. I was just about to leave the house for work when a Great Spotted Woodpecker dropped onto our fence and was joined by a youngster, which the adult then started to feed.

Briliant way to start your day.

Blackbirds

Blackbirds are most common in my leics garden. One nest was destroyed, by magpies? So they built another one. Both male & female are busy feeding the young. The young have not yet left the nest, although on the front of our house we have another family of blackbirds busy feeding on berries that are still left from winter. The other week we were very lucky to have Housemartins settling on the eaves of our house. As it was windy the parents kept flying over to feed the young. They stayed for two days, just sheltering on the eaves waiting to be fed. They have been around but have flown away. Swift are plentiful, and next to the fields they are plenty of skylarks singing!

House Sparrow for me at the moment, followed by Greenfinch, Blackbird and Starling.

I'm also getting regular Collared Dove, Goldfinch, Robin, Song Thrush, Blue Tit, Great Tit and odd other visitors.

Richard (Faversham Kent)

Here on the east coast of Ireland, House Sparrows seemto be the most common followed by Starlings and Greenfinches, Havn't seen my Blue Tits for a while :h?:

Agreed the noise is incredible for house sparrows... usually have about 20-25 at a time in the yard and i dont think anyone has said this but chipping sparrows are VERY VERY noisy and same with the blue jays and magpies... very noisy...

Free said:
It would be interesting to see which is the commonest bird in each ones garden in differant parts of the World and in England in which county.

I am in Kent and its the Sparrow, No complaints i love em!

Anyone else?

I am in coastal Otago, New Zealand. Commonest bird today is definitely the silvereye.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back