• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

sharm holiday early november (1 Viewer)

Hi Warrior1966,

How did you get on?

I am looking at going just after Christmas.

I have been to Morocco previously so have seen quite a few of the desert birds. I a very keen however on seeing the eastern desert specialities.

Are there any current guides in the Sharm area which can be recommended?

Cheers

Steve

Hi Warrior1966,

How did you get on?

I am looking at going just after Christmas.

I have been to Morocco previously so have seen quite a few of the desert birds. I a very keen however on seeing the eastern desert specialities.

Are there any current guides in the Sharm area which can be recommended?

Cheers

Steve

And is it consider safe to go up to the Monastery?

And is it consider safe to go up to the Monastery?

Hi Phil,

Got back from Egypt late last night. Will post details of sightings over next week or so.

With regards to visiting St Catherine's Monastery/Mt Sinai, holiday companies such as Thomas Cook has stopped the trips. However, the UK Gov website states it is safe to visit.

We went by using a trip organised by Marjo Glerum(a Dutch lady living in Sharm). She has Bedouin friends who were perfect hosts and gave us a safe and enjoyable visit to the area.

The walk was pretty intense and must have involved c.8 miles walking up and down the mountain so walking boots, plenty of water etc are a must. However, this secured 40-50 Sinai Rosefinches with superb views, along with 5 Chukar, 50+ Tristam's Grackles, sev Scrub Warblers, many Desert Larks, sev W-C Blk Wheatear, and Yellow-Vented Bulbul.

I feel this trip is much better for birding and pretty much secured the key targets which may not always be the case with the generic trips ran by larger tour operators.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back