• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Regarding Sony RX10 M3 and Nikon P900 (1 Viewer)

I dont have the Sony but i do have the P900,if the reach is enough even with some cropping i would give serious thought to the Sony.

A point to consider if you intend to record videos. Check whether you can turn off the SteadyShot image stabilization feature on the RX10M3. In the Sony HX400v one can't turn off the SS and it is very aggressive. On a tripod any minor adjustment in position of the camera gets SS trying to compensate which when its recording can keep the image bouncing around for seconds. To avoid this is better to stop recording, readjust the position, wait for the SS to calm down and start recording again. Obviously this works only with targets that are nearly standing still. The Nikon P900 allows for turning off the image stabilization which is essential for shooting videos using a tripod or following a moving target.

I was enjoying my RX10 M3 very much when I dropped it and now the focus is fuzzy. Any recommendations for repair in USA? I have had a bad experience with Precision Camera (Recommended by Sony) and am looking for alternatives.
Thanks
Mike

I'm interested in the same question - I'm considering both as a replacement for my ageing Canon SX50HS

There is a good article here comparing the two you mention with also some reference to a couple of other super zooms:

http://psnp.lightshedder.com/?p=951

Cheers
Mike
That's a nice write up linked :t:
A friend of mine just bought the Sony RX10III and we learnt a thing or two from reading and luckily for him a one week trial period before purchase.
1. As mentioned in the review, the Sony can extend to 900mm at 10MP, or 1200mm at 5MP optically in Jpeg mode. Add this to the fast high quality lens, and 1 inch sensor and there is wonderful unmatched subject isolation (through combination of telephoto reach, depth of field and nice background blurring) until you get to APS-C or FF sized sensors.
2. Autofocus and image quality is superb for the sensor size, and in comparison to larger APS-C cameras. See a very informative write up by long time industry tester, Ken Rockwell (who gives it very big raps) here: http://www.kenrockwell.com/sony/rx10-iii.htm
3. One of the most important things with P&S zooms or Bridge cameras is the startup time, and the zooming time (in the absence of manual zoom), as well as fps and buffer size. The Sony is good in this regard and highly customizable to boot.

The extra reach of the Nikon comes at the expense of smaller sensor, slower glass, less background isolation, and less flexibility on moving targets. Everybody needs to try for themselves where possible, though the Sony does seem to be a standout product at the moment. Further reports here: http://www.whatdigitalcamera.com/reviews/compact-cameras/sony-cyber-shot-dsc-rx10-iii-review

Chosun :gh:

That's a nice write up linked :t:
A friend of mine just bought the Sony RX10III and we learnt a thing or two from reading and luckily for him a one week trial period before purchase.
1. As mentioned in the review, the Sony can extend to 900mm at 10MP, or 1200mm at 5MP optically in Jpeg mode. Add this to the fast high quality lens, and 1 inch sensor and there is wonderful unmatched subject isolation (through combination of telephoto reach, depth of field and nice background blurring) until you get to APS-C or FF sized sensors.
2. Autofocus and image quality is superb for the sensor size, and in comparison to larger APS-C cameras. See a very informative write up by long time industry tester, Ken Rockwell (who gives it very big raps) here: http://www.kenrockwell.com/sony/rx10-iii.htm
3. One of the most important things with P&S zooms or Bridge cameras is the startup time, and the zooming time (in the absence of manual zoom), as well as fps and buffer size. The Sony is good in this regard and highly customizable to boot.

The extra reach of the Nikon comes at the expense of smaller sensor, slower glass, less background isolation, and less flexibility on moving targets. Everybody needs to try for themselves where possible, though the Sony does seem to be a standout product at the moment. Further reports here: http://www.whatdigitalcamera.com/reviews/compact-cameras/sony-cyber-shot-dsc-rx10-iii-review

I will admit i have not looked at the spec on the Sony but in your quotes for "optical" zoom extensions you quote a drop in MP for each one,this sounds more like in camera cropping,if this is the case then some thing like the P900 should be just as good when used at the extended tele ranges.

Yes Mike, as I understand it, it is an "in-camera" crop (works the same way as the 1.3x crop in my D7100, I'm not sure if the viewfinder display shows a similar indicative border), as distinct from a "digital zoom" which it also has, named "Clear Image zoom". The Rockwell Report is well worth the read (very long!) and contains some stunning images - then again I suppose he does know what he is doing! ;)

I think the high ISO range is where some of the biggest differences would be found, and in the quality of the Sony's (Zeiss) lens and high UI customability. Some of those 2000mm images from the Nikon did show remarkable detail though, and would be hard to go past if that was the major use on subjects that sit cooperatively still, and in good light, especially if cost was a big factor.

However, when someone the caliber of Ken Rockwell says the Sony is preferable to an APS-C A6300 and swapping lenses, and to "get one", it is of note ..... :cat:

Sorry but i have no respect for KR,IMO he will say anything that earns him clicks and shout the benefits of what ever manufacturer is flavor of the month with him.

That doesn't detract from the Sony camera though it is probably the best bridge camera around if it covers your range,the only reason i would not use it is zoom range is too short in my situation for small birds,i would end up with massive crops that would be no better than the cheaper lighter P900.

This was taken at 2000mm,to get this with the sony would have been major cropping,i think i would have ended up with no better but have spent nearly 3 times the money.

Attachments

• 26044356336_e6ec9e5938_o.jpg
    26044356336_e6ec9e5938_o.jpg
    368.6 KB · Views: 542
Not for you Chosun as i feel we both understand sensor size but an explanation of my argument for others.

The Sony has a 1 inch 20.1mp sensor and a 222mm lens (full frame equivalent Field of view) the Nikon has a 1/2,3 inch sensor with 16 mp and a 357mm lens ( full frame equivalent field of view).

As you can see if you just use the cameras at there maximum focal length the Sony wins hands down,now if you start using camera or PP crops on the Sony to give it the same FOV as the Nikon your losing pixels at a dramatic rate.
Not good enough at maths to work it out but if you only lost half the pixels in the sony by cropping you would end up with 10mp while the Nikon still had 16mp.
I know there are other factors but ime just saying if you will need to crop the Sony to give you the image size you want it may be you are better looking at other cameras.

Sorry but i have no respect for KR,IMO he will say anything that earns him clicks and shout the benefits of what ever manufacturer is flavor of the month with him.

That doesn't detract from the Sony camera though it is probably the best bridge camera around if it covers your range,the only reason i would not use it is zoom range is too short in my situation for small birds,i would end up with massive crops that would be no better than the cheaper lighter P900.

This was taken at 2000mm,to get this with the sony would have been major cropping,i think i would have ended up with no better but have spent nearly 3 times the money.
Nice image Mike :t:

The Rockwell report is a good read for potential users, as he details quite a few handy pointers around Auto ISO setup etc. Yes, I don't read all his stuff, but the Sony review did strike me as quite "glowing" - can't say if this is too OTT or whether he is genuinely taken with it. The higher ISO images look stunning though, and you can see from the lack of distortions that the glass is top notch.

I know that even my rig of Nikon D7100 + Tammy 150-600mm f6.3 runs out of puff in more situations than I would care for it to. So even this is frustrating. I'm pretty sure I'm headed D500+600$$f4 when the planets align. I like the idea of the Sony, had it been 18-600mm eq f2.8-4 I may just have jumped at it. As it is I've got the Tokina 12-28mm f4 (giving me 18 to 56mm with the Nikon APS-C sensor and 1.3x in camera crop) to handle any landscape ambitions.

I don't think there's too much more I can add at this stage as my friend gave the Sony to his missus as a present. I will give a report back here next time I see them, and after she gets to grips with driving the beast :t: ;)

In the end I went for the Sony a couple of months ago because I did not think that the small P900 sensor would necessarily deliver better quality images than my much-loved but ageing Canon SX50 and I was definitely looking to improve overall image quality.

Having just come back from a terrific trip to Kenya, I'm absolutely delighted with how the Sony performed with pretty much straight out the box settings. I posted a report on a day in the Arabuko Sokoke Forest (click here) which includes a few samples.

However . . . now back home in Hong Kong, where the reach of the RX10iii will be more severely tested - especially in capturing small birds which are less approachable than many in Kenya. I've attached one more small bird sample below, which reflects my "better pics of birds" intention for choosing the RX10iii.

Cheers
Mike

Attachments

• DSC00803 Chinspot Batis @ Aberdare NP.JPG
    DSC00803 Chinspot Batis @ Aberdare NP.JPG
    348 KB · Views: 542
Last edited:
Thats a great image,have you tried the digital zoom,think its called clear zoom have seen some great results on planes but birds are a different matter.

Thanks nikonmike. Here's a couple with the zoom of a Crested Goshawk and a more atmospheric (aka grainy) Forest Wagtail in Hong Kong last weekend. Also a shot of a Checkered Keelback for the same patch of woodland on the same day showing the quality of the close focus.

Cheers
Mike

Attachments

• DSC03479 Crested Goshawk @ Pui O.jpg
    DSC03479 Crested Goshawk @ Pui O.jpg
    140.9 KB · Views: 453
  • DSC03538 Forest Wagtail @ Pui O.JPG
    DSC03538 Forest Wagtail @ Pui O.JPG
    844.2 KB · Views: 436
  • DSC03580 Checkered Keelback @ Pui O.JPG
    DSC03580 Checkered Keelback @ Pui O.JPG
    726.4 KB · Views: 455
Thanks nikonmike. Here's a couple with the zoom of a Crested Goshawk and a more atmospheric (aka grainy) Forest Wagtail in Hong Kong last weekend. Also a shot of a Checkered Keelback for the same patch of woodland on the same day showing the quality of the close focus.

Cheers
Mike

Nice bet it would be even better in good light.

The light was distinctly sub-optimal for all these shots, but only the Forest Wagtail really suffered.

Cheers
Mike

In the end I went for the Sony a couple of months ago because I did not think that the small P900 sensor would necessarily deliver better quality images than my much-loved but ageing Canon SX50 and I was definitely looking to improve overall image quality......

...... I've attached one more small bird sample below, which reflects my "better pics of birds" intention for choosing the RX10iii.....
Nice pic Mike :t: .... It crops really well to a lovely out of focus background that you could have only gotten with the Sony's fast glass and great 1" sensor. I think you made a great choice. :t:

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back