• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Eyepiece alternatives (1 Viewer)

ianp234

I have an MM3 60mm and an ES 80 GA ED between which I share an HDF zoom eyepiece.
I`m considering selling the larger scope as I find the MM3 better suits my requirements at present.
If I were to keep the present eyepiece for the latter, I reckon the bigger scope would be more easily saleable with an alternative eyepiece.
Can anyone suggest an economical eyepiece which I could then sell on with the ES 80?
Alternatively, If I sold the HDF with the scope, would there be any performance gain in obtaining, at greater expense, an SDL V2 for the MM3?

Any thoughts or suggestions welcome!

I have used some time to browse a couple of threads in here, and optically, people seem to differ in opinion: a couple prefer the HDF, while a lot of others swear by the SDL.

Things to consider: better waterproofing and confocal so that you do not need to refocus after changing zoom level on the SDL.

Niels

Hi,

the SDLv2 is not quite parfocal - some refocussing is needed but not as much as on other zoom eyepieces.

Joachim

I use a 40809 which gives you and me, about 33x. I like this ep. But it!s no longer made , it has been replaced with a slightly cheaper version though. Don!t know what the difference is.

Thanks for that. The 40809 sounds like it might be a good bet. I`ve found quite a bit of information about it , mainly on Birdforum:)
It seems to be widely advertised, so I guess it`s back in production, or perhaps it`s an updated version.
In fact, if I try one on the scope in question and like the combination, I may just hang on to both scopes.

The 40809 is definitely discontinued so any listings for it will be out of date or for stock that was bought some time ago.

The replacement is the 40831 which has the same focal length and more up to date lens coatings. Optically it's a little better than the 40809. It uses an collar thread (like the HDF and SDL zooms) rather than the external thread of the 40809 and other fixed mag HDF eyepieces. SRP is £129 compared to £159 for the 40809.

HTH

Cheers, Pete

Hi Pete,

thanks for the info on the new fixed mag EP. Will there be more models with collar thread and what focal lengths are planned?

Also can you say sth about where the focal plane lies for these new EPs in comparison to the SDLv2 and HDF zooms?

This info is quite interesting for those who tinker with Opticron EPs on other bodies - like Kowa small bayonett... where SDL and HDF zooms fit mostly out of the box.

Joachim

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back