• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

This owl knows the speed limit... (1 Viewer)

Gretchen

Saw this brief article in the New Scientist and thought it really interesting. They noted how birds seemed to time their taking off based on the usual speed of vehicles on a particular road rather than the particular car. The birds averaged earlier take offs from roads with high speed limits than from those with low ones.

I hadn't seen that other thread, thanks. I was disappointed that this article didn't actually talk about the species studied and whether it was only at night. I guess it is probably a germ of a study (pilot study in a sense?), which would require more time and effort to get substantial results from.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back