• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Leica Geovid HDR Type 403 vs. Geovid HD-B 2200's? (1 Viewer)

dwever

Leica Geovid HD-R Type 403 Optical Performance

Cabela's is offering $750 reduction on Geovid HD-R Type 403 for $1,899 from $2,649.

Can someone kindly place the optical performance at a comparative point with traditional bins? Quite impressive in the resolution review below, but the reviewer only compared resolution with other rangers.

Much appreciated. On safari for observation, known distance allows extremely accurate computations for animal size with certain reticled optics.

Penguins are last week, Robben Island, South Africa, digibinning without an adapter, iPhone and UVHD+ 8x42.

http://precisionrifleblog.com/2013/12/12/leica-geovid-hd-b-review/

Attachments

• IMG_1195.jpg
    IMG_1195.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 122
  • Screen Shot 2017-01-27 at 3.43.40 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2017-01-27 at 3.43.40 PM.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 133
  • Screen Shot 2017-01-21 at 9.20.28 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2017-01-21 at 9.20.28 PM.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 119
Last edited:
As far as I'm aware, the only difference is in the electronics. There are very few test reviews which focus on optical characteristics - most focus on the rangefinding capabilities.

For what its worth (from my limited experience), the optical performance/characteristics of Swarovski EL Range 8x42 stand up best against other 'alpha' binoculars such as the ELs (obviously without the field flatteners) and the SLCs. By that I mean that the brightness, colour, contrast and sharpness give up little to a comparable binocular.

In my opinion, the Geovid HD-B is not as bright in comparison, but that may not be the most meaningful comparison or characteristic. I think it also displays more chromatic aberation.

For what it's worth, I chose the 8x56 HD-B which to my eye gives the best overall image of the Geovid models. I compared it to my EL10x50 and have used them side by side in the field in a variety of light conditions and terrain. Really the only thing lacking is field of view, but that is the price of such a (relatively) compact/fast binocular. Otherwise there is not much to choose between them (from my non-technical observations).

It was a tough choice between it and the EL Range 8x42, which I liked a lot. The two factors which ultimately swung it for me were the integral ballistics function and objective lens size. If the EL Range and Geovid HD-B had identical capabilities then the choice would have been tougher. If I hadn't decided on those two requirements, or if I wanted a more multi-pupose birding/rangefinding binoculars, all other things considered, I think I would have chosen the Swarovski.

Bottom line I suppose is that I wouldn't personally choose a x42 Geovid as a binocular (ignoring the rangefinder capability). I don't think that it would stand up to the best binoculars out there. The x56 is another matter in my opinion. Others may disagree. For me, that means I plan to pair my Geovid with a non-rangefinder such as an Ultravid HD+ 7x42 or perhaps a Noctivid (if I sell my EL 10x50).

Last edited:
Can someone kindly place the optical performance at a comparative point with traditional bins? Quite impressive in the resolution review below, but the reviewer only compared resolution with other rangers.
http://precisionrifleblog.com/2013/12/12/leica-geovid-hd-b-review/

In 2015, I did a side by side comparison of the 8x model (HD-R Type 402) with Ultravid HD Plus, Victory SF, Victory HT, Nikon EDG, EL SV and SLC and wrote my comments in a German optics forum (this was my first experience with the new Perger prism).
I reviewed in particular sharpness, contrast, stray-light performance, CA, and color fidelity, beside other subjects (mechanics, ergonomics). I asked three colleagues to review sharpness and contrast independently so that we could afterwards compare results.

Short summary: CA is very well corrected, on par with the other binoculars; stray-light suppression is good, but does not reach the level of the SF or EDG.
Color fidelity seems better in the HD+, HT, SF and EL SV; the image of the Geovid is very bright and shows a slight, almost blueish tint.
Sharpness: the Geovid shows a brilliant, sharp, bright image, basically on par with the best binos.
Contrast was - probably due to the Geovid's very bright image with its blueish note - rated slightly inferior to the top bins, esp. in hazy conditions, where glasses like e.g. the Ultravid seemed to perform slightly better.

For what it's worth.
Canip

Awesome remarks. I spent an hour side-by-side with the New 2200 series Geovid HD-B 10X42 and my UVHD+ today at Cabela's.

The Geovid seems to be on par optically with my UV HD+ as far as resolving detail. But are not as bright. Some of the brightness difference can be attributed to the higher power, but I doubt they are quite as bright as a 10 X UVHD plus either. So Canip's review nudges me towards the 8x Geovid.

I can't tell any additional depth of field or 3D from them being Porro. But maybe outside the store I could have.

Plan to order from B&H or Midway as neither NYCamera or Eagle carries the recently released 2200 series.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back