• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cuba with a few birds (1 Viewer)

Adare

My wife and I went on a non-birding trip to Cuba in mid April to see my son who is studying in Havana. We spent four days in Havana and 7 days in Playa Larga at the head of the Bay of Pigs and effectively within the Cienaga de Zapata.

Wandering around Havana there are birds to see - particularly if like me you have never been to the Caribean before. We were mostly based in Old Havana and wherever there were patches of vegetation there would be a few birds.

In the Plaza Christo near our casa particular I spotted both Grey Kingbird and Cuban Emerald - both birds turned out to be very common. In the Plaza de Armas, which has some plants and fountains, there were Cuban Blackbirds, Great Antillean Grackles and Red-legged Thrushes. Later, at the beginning of the Malecon opposite the Cabana fort I saw a nice adult Palm Warbler, Common Ground Dove and Mourning Doves. In the convent in the Plaza San Francisco, Cuban Martins were nesting under the eaves.

Obviously House Sparrows were pretty common, but I was slightly dismayed to see so many Collared Doves.

Wandering round Vedado we saw Northern Mockingbird, more Grey Kingbirds and lots of Mourning Doves. In the Avenida de los Presidentes I saw my first West Indian Woodpecker in a palm. Over everything floated the ubiquitous Turkey Vulture. My son and I were also astonished to find a Yellow-billed Cuckoo in a tree in Vedado.

One evening I saw a Peregrine chasing pigeons over the old ferry terminal. I also saw a couple of Brown Pelicans and Laughing Gulls whilst walking along the Malecon.

We had a trip across the water to Casablanca, Cabana fort and the Christ. In the ferry mouth there were Laughing Gulls loafing but not much else. Above casablanca village and below the Christ statue there was a small eco project where a rubbish dump had been cleared. We bought a soft drink and sat looking into the trees.

Here we saw some American Warblers, including American Redstart, Northern Parula, Blackburnian Warbler, possible Prairie Warbler Cuban Pewee and La Sagra's Flycatcher. To crown it all we were astonished to see a Cuban Tody.

Higher up on the top towards the fort we saw several Smooth-billed Ani, American Kestrel and Tawny-winged Blackbirds. As we returned to the ferry we saw (western) Cattle Egret and a Green Heron.

When we moved on to Playa Larga my son and I explored the area around the town for bird habitat. To the east of the self-propelled gun in Playa Larga there is some woodland and a footpath runs from the power line south to the water tower. Along this path, which we walked once or twice a day we found a lot of birds including American migrants. These included Yellow-billed Cuckoo, American Redstart, Northern Waterthrush, Ovenbird, Veery, Yellow Warbler, Northern Parula, Blackburnian Warbler, Black-throated Blue Warbler and Black and White Warbler. From the water tower we walked across the field to the trees by the shore. There were Killdeer on this field, as well as the football pitch and we saw White Ibis and Cattle Egret here as well. Common Ground Dove and Zenaida Dove were common in the open areas. The Northern end of the path was quite a reliable place for Loggerhead Kingbird. Best of all was that we several times had superb views of Cuban Trogon in the woods. Black-whiskered Vireo was very regular and on one occasion I saw Worm-eating Warbler. We also had Cuban Green Woodpecker and Great Lizard Cuckoo here. It was also great to find our own cuban endemic Yellow-headed Warbler here.

By the shore we had a few water birds including Little Blue Heron, Great Blue Heron, Willet and Spotted Sandpiper. Offshore we had Royal and Sandwich Tern, as well as Brown Pelican and odd Magnificent Frigatebirds. In the trees along the shore there were Tawny-winged Blackbirds, Shiny Cowbirds, Grey Kingbirds as well as the one Blackpoll Warbler of the trip and many of the migrants we saw in the woods.

From the balcony of our casa particular in Playa Giron we saw Cuban martin, Cave Swallow, Barn Swallow, White Ibis, Cuban Parrot, Brown pelican, Magnificent Frigatebird, Snowy Egret and Antillean Nighthawk. The nighthawks were a regular feature and we could hear their four syllable croak early in the evening and early morning. We saw the Parrots every day - including in trees near the water tower and at the hotel Playa Larga.

I had booked three birding sessions with El Chino. When he didn't turn up my landlord rang him and he arrived, dropping us with William in the Soplillar area. We had an excellent birding walk round this area. There were numerous West Indian Woodpeckers, as well as Cuban Green Woodpecker and 4 Fernandina Flickers. we had crippling views of both Cuban Trogon and Cuban Tody. William found us very good views of Cuban Pygmy owl and Screech Owl. (Also called Bare-legged Owl.) Walking round the area we had the only Crested Caracara of the trip and another Great Lizard Cuckoo as well a group of Grey Catbirds. William showed us Grey-headed Quail Dove and took us to a sight for Great Antillean Nightjar. After a while searching, my son found it perched low down for great views. As we returned to the vehicle we saw another Screech Owl and El Chino pointed out a gorgeous Western Spindalis high up in a tree.

The next day we went to Turba with Chino's brother Angel. A lot of this trip was spent fruitlessly playing the call of the Zapata Wren. I suspect the call has been played so much the wren has decided to hook it. Never mind. We did get good views of Zapata Sparrow and our only Red-shouldered Blackbird of the trip. We also saw our first Cuban Vireo as well as La Sagra's flycatcher, Loggerhead Kingbird, Yellow-headed Warbler, Red-legged Honeycreeper, Yellow-faced Grassquit and White-crowned Pigeon.

The three of us then went off to Cueva de las Peces for Blue-headed Quail Dove. Walking in the woods at this site we had lots of Black-whiskered Vireo and Cuban Green Woodpecker. returning to the area of the restaurant we had stunning views of two Blue-headed Quail Dove and more excellent views of Cuban Trogon.

We decided to visit the village of Palpite, where a local resident has made his garden attractive for Bee Hummingbird. Bernabe Hernandez has created a superb spectacle and we saw several Bee Hummingbirds at close quarters, as well as great views of Cuban Emerald, Cuban Oriole and Black-throated Blue Warbler.

Visiting the lagoon at la Boca we picked up a few waterbirds, such as Common and Purple Gallinule, Black-crowned Night Heron, Anhinga, Neotropic Cormorant and Great Blue Heron. Here we saw several Common yellowthroats, which we began seeing regularly in all sorts of low plant cover. We also managed to explore the lake behind Playa Larga, seeing Pied-billed Grebe, Tricoloured Heron, Little Blue Heron and Green Heron.

Photos of many of the birds seen can be viewed here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/adam_dare/albums/72157680041666544

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back