• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hummer Question (1 Viewer)

Soarman

this was asked by my friend in Arizona ..............

Hummingbird Question - NO picture

I was outside yesterday and I hear this commotion by the garden. I see this hummingbird flying in what appears to be oval or figure 8 pattern over an area of 8 ft by 2 feet - just above some plants. It is like he has his after burners on. Zoom, zoom , zoom. Then sits on the fence and rests. I am thinking - he got some fermented nectar. This bird is crazy.

So I go to the garage door and watch from about 10 feet. Again it goes out flying this pattern. Noisy as heck. In fact you hear it - but do not see it much. Then goes back to the fence and rest a few minutes. Does this about 4 more times until another Hummingbird comes in and they both leave. Never went to feed ( Feeder about 3 feet away. ) But he must have consumed a ton of energy. He was flying at a frantic pace.

I go over to the plant to see if there was something in it. Out pops a lavender colored hummingbird.

Anyone ever noticed this type of behavior? Mating ritual? In 5 years of dealing with large populations of hummingbirds - I have never seen it.

I'm just throwing this out there but could there be a nest nearby that this hummer was raising hell to protect it?

Pretty sure he was in display mode hoping to attract a female for mating.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back