• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Malta and hunting policy (1 Viewer)

ColD

Save the Egyptian Vulture in Greece
For some reason I received the following by email from the Hunting Federation of Malta, thought it might promote some debate by Birdforum members
ColD

The Federation for Hunting & Conservation – Malta (FKNK) regards the Government’s ‘Policy Guidelines for Hunting and Trapping of birds in Malta’ published on 12th August 2011 as this Government’s latest move to gradually eradicate the traditional socio-cultural passions of hunting and trapping from the Maltese Islands. Evidently the government is completely indifferent to the feelings, expectations and aspirations of the Maltese hunters and trappers. Additionally Government displays a total disregard towards the legitimate right of landowners to use their land as they deem fit during the open hunting/trapping seasons.

In issuing this Policy, Government must believe that the thousands of hunters and trappers and their families are dispensable, besides, with this Policy Government has yet again attempted to create a divide-and-rule situation, this time between hunters and trappers.

All EU Member States, except Malta, have fixed hunting seasons which, for practical and humanitarian reasons, are determined in advance. It is only the present Maltese Government that adopts the puerile tactic of leaving it to the last moment to announce the opening of the hunting and trapping seasons. It is only this Government that adopts the same tactics when it chose to dismiss the recommendations of its own appointed ORNIS Committee, and now ‘recommends’ to that same Committee, by way of its Policy Guidelines, what the Committee should ‘recommend’ to it.

Led by the nose by BirdLife Malta, this Government has drawn up policy guidelines that go beyond EU requirements. The unnecessary ban on September afternoon hunting was NEVER endorsed by the Ornis Committee in its annual recommendations. The Government simply ignores ORNIS, and bows to the demands of BirdLife Malta, and the German-based CABS, both of whom want to usurp the Maltese countryside for their extremist ends. This is simply an extension of BirdLife’s campaign ‘reclaim your countryside’. The imposition of daily bag limits is another unnecessary restriction that is not required by EU legislation.

The Policy Guidelines make it clear that it is this Government’s intention never to permit trapping for the quail and the turtle dove, always to impose the September afternoon ban, never to allow hunting in the month of May and that it is planning further restrictions on Sundays, Public Holidays and now also during school holidays. We repeat, it is the local government, not the European Union, that wants to impose these restrictions, thereby causing further unnecessary hardship to hunters and trappers. Furthermore, the twisting of facts and the misinterpretations of the ruling of the European Court of Justice of 10th September 2009 prove the unfair intentions of the Government.

Therefore, the FKNK has no option but to do its utmost to put a stop to this Government’s attempt to dismantle the traditional socio-cultural passion of Maltese hunters and trappers. The FKNK is now constrained to embark on a different course of action. We are determined not to allow any Government remove what rightfully and legally belongs to the Maltese hunters and trappers.

The FKNK has sent a detailed critique of the Policy Guidelines to the Government, the Opposition and the Malta Ornis Committee.

Lino Farrugia

Secretary General

The Federation for Hunting & Conservation – Malta (FKNK) regards the Government’s ‘Policy Guidelines for Hunting and Trapping of birds in Malta’ published on 12th August 2011 as this Government’s latest move to gradually eradicate the traditional socio-cultural passions of hunting and trapping from the Maltese Islands.

If this is indeed a policy objective of the Maltese Government then I wholeheartedly support it and look forward to the day when it has been 100% achieved. That day will, I'm sure, be celebrated by every environmentally aware human in the civilised world.

I wonder if Mr Ferrugia knows that there was, until fairly recently, a socio-cultural passion for hunting witches in Europe and setting fire to them. Perhaps he would like to bring back and defend that practice - substituting environmentalists for witches, who have become the good guys now thanks to JKRowling.

Additionally Government displays a total disregard towards the legitimate right of landowners to use their land as they deem fit during the open hunting/trapping seasons.

I'm not allowed to shoot burglars on my property, I'm not particularly happy about it but I adhere to it.

In issuing this Policy, Government must believe that the thousands of hunters and trappers and their families are dispensable

Will they starve to death then, what is the nutritional value of an aquatic warbler?

And to be perfectly frank, we are all dispensible, but some people are more dispensible than others.

Glad that the Maltese Government is doing something. I wish them every success.

For some reason I received the following by email from the Hunting Federation of Malta, thought it might promote some debate by Birdforum members
ColD

The Federation for Hunting & Conservation – Malta (FKNK) regards the Government’s ‘Policy Guidelines for Hunting and Trapping of birds in Malta’ published on 12th August 2011 as this Government’s latest move to gradually eradicate the traditional socio-cultural passions of hunting and trapping from the Maltese Islands. Evidently the government is completely indifferent to the feelings, expectations and aspirations of the Maltese hunters and trappers. Additionally Government displays a total disregard towards the legitimate right of landowners to use their land as they deem fit during the open hunting/trapping seasons.

In issuing this Policy, Government must believe that the thousands of hunters and trappers and their families are dispensable, besides, with this Policy Government has yet again attempted to create a divide-and-rule situation, this time between hunters and trappers.

All EU Member States, except Malta, have fixed hunting seasons which, for practical and humanitarian reasons, are determined in advance. It is only the present Maltese Government that adopts the puerile tactic of leaving it to the last moment to announce the opening of the hunting and trapping seasons. It is only this Government that adopts the same tactics when it chose to dismiss the recommendations of its own appointed ORNIS Committee, and now ‘recommends’ to that same Committee, by way of its Policy Guidelines, what the Committee should ‘recommend’ to it.

Led by the nose by BirdLife Malta, this Government has drawn up policy guidelines that go beyond EU requirements. The unnecessary ban on September afternoon hunting was NEVER endorsed by the Ornis Committee in its annual recommendations. The Government simply ignores ORNIS, and bows to the demands of BirdLife Malta, and the German-based CABS, both of whom want to usurp the Maltese countryside for their extremist ends. This is simply an extension of BirdLife’s campaign ‘reclaim your countryside’. The imposition of daily bag limits is another unnecessary restriction that is not required by EU legislation.

The Policy Guidelines make it clear that it is this Government’s intention never to permit trapping for the quail and the turtle dove, always to impose the September afternoon ban, never to allow hunting in the month of May and that it is planning further restrictions on Sundays, Public Holidays and now also during school holidays. We repeat, it is the local government, not the European Union, that wants to impose these restrictions, thereby causing further unnecessary hardship to hunters and trappers. Furthermore, the twisting of facts and the misinterpretations of the ruling of the European Court of Justice of 10th September 2009 prove the unfair intentions of the Government.

Therefore, the FKNK has no option but to do its utmost to put a stop to this Government’s attempt to dismantle the . The FKNK is now constrained to embark on a different course of action. We are determined not to allow any Government remove what rightfully and legally belongs to the Maltese hunters and trappers.

The FKNK has sent a detailed critique of the Policy Guidelines to the Government, the Opposition and the Malta Ornis Committee.

Lino Farrugia, Secretary General

What a transparently self-serving, cynical and pompous statement, made without regard or understanding of how hunting is regulated or monitored (however imperfectly) elsewhere in much of Europe!

The marker is not "the traditional socio-cultural passion of Maltese hunters and trappers", it is whether that 'tradition' is a good tradition or a bad tradition, when measured against reasonable opinions reached through debate and published regulation in a free society. It's all too common a ploy to raise the spectre of 'tradition' as a thinkstop instead of offering it for a judgement call.

The linking of 'hunting' with 'trapping' as a fait accompli should be challenged on every turn. 'Trapping' for non-research purposes (the Japanese have made it a career option in their whaling argument) where any bird species has not been declared an official pest, is unsupportable in any modern context. 'Hunting' in the Mediterranean usually has little to do with any hunting skills, as Adam W attempts to explain so often.

FKNK's statement is extraordinarily feeble, and they don't have the faintest awareness of the fact. I apologise if I might have inadvertently made them realise that their declaration is laughable (except perhaps to a bureaucrat), and would be considered very much a failure by the average debater of any experience.

FKNK's assumption that BirdLife Malta have an executive role in 'leading the Maltese Government by the nose' is yet another example of how evidence terrifies the irrational, who have only one response - the schoolboy reaction of calling the opposition names!
MJB
PS 'Extremist ends' - cessation of killing of birds and introducing a protected future for migrants as opposed to thousands of guns blasting away annually? Even the Eurovision Song Contest voting wouldn't support the latter over the former, would it? Mr Ferrugia, if the cap fits, wear it!

"We repeat, it is the local government, not the European Union, that wants to impose these restrictions, thereby causing further unnecessary hardship to hunters and trappers. "

The man's an utter dellusionist - how on earth does Malta think it can exist in a time where landowners have a right to destroy Honey Buzzards that fly over their land. My heart bleeds for the poor Maltese hunters and the hardship the law may impose on hunters and trappers still hanging on to their sad, misguided and medieval way of life.

Its time these people towed the line, i wonder what subsidies Malta gets from the IDIOTS from the E.U for encouraging the protection of its wildlife etc
does anyone know?

Its time these people towed the line, i wonder what subsidies Malta gets from the IDIOTS from the E.U for encouraging the protection of its wildlife etc
does anyone know?

They face large fines, for the payment of which they can follow the lead of Britain, France and others and default.

The local Bedfordshire Bird Club magazine at http://www.bedsbirdclub.org.uk/ has an interesting account in the July edition of the Hobby which can be viewed (follow link on left menu).

See article on page 6 tiltled 24 HOURS BIRDING MALTESE STYLE

Our local author concludes :-

What can YOU do to stop the killing?
• Attend a Spring Watch or Raptor Camp. (The 2011 Raptor Camp runs from September 14th to October
2nd).
• Join Birdlife Malta. It cost a paltry £25. They need all the members they can get.
• Give a donation to Birdlife Malta
• Write to your MP, MEP, or the president of Malta, or all three!
• Boycott travel to Malta. I am personally against this. I would much prefer people to go out there and see
for themselves.
• Pass this article on to as many other email groups, organisations and friends as you can.
• Visit www.birdlifemalta.org

Robin

hahahahahahahahaha just had another email , this person aint real :-O:-O:-O:-O

Government’s Manner of Applying Derogations

Whenever Government produced documents to substantiate the criterion of ‘small numbers’ that can be taken from the wild, as required for the application of a derogation from the EU “Birds” Directive to permit hunting or trapping, it invariably used incorrect or incomplete data to attach to a specifically moulded version of the methodology suggested by the EU Commission itself for this purpose. This leads the Federation for Hunting & Conservation – Malta (FKNK) to suspect that Government is not willing to allow Maltese Hunters and Trappers achieve that which is rightfully theirs.

The manner and method to be used to arrive at the ‘small numbers’ or in the order of 1% mortality figure, is simply explained in the straightforward mathematical formula supplied by the EU Commission in its ‘Guidance Document on hunting under the “Birds Directive”’. Even a worked example, regarding the water rail, is illustrated in said Document, where ALL the known breeding populations of ALL mainland Europe countries are used in the example’s calculations. The Document also explains the formula that is to be used in the case of non-huntable species, such as would be the case if a derogation were to be applied to permit live-finch trapping.

On the other hand, both for derogating for spring-hunting and now in its latest unnecessary attempt to apply a derogation for the trapping (live-capture) of legally huntable species, the Maltese Government in the first instance totally ignores FKNK’s expert advice and several scientific documents it supplies, and then proceeds to invent formulas, such as the inverse proportion recipe used for the spring hunting derogation, quotes breeding populations without naming the source of reference, selects breeding populations of countries at will and with no scientific backing, arbitrarily chooses to divide the migrating populations by three or by six, uses incorrect species which do not even migrate over the Maltese Islands in its workings, at times forgets that migrating birds know no countries’ borders and applies only EU countries breeding populations, and refers to bird-ringing records as it pleases, thus finally arriving at its premeditated illogical, impractical and scientifically incorrect figures.

None of these methods form part of the Guidance Document, the “Birds” Directive or the ruling of the European Court of Justice of the 10th September 2009.

Lino Farrugia
Secretary General

yet another email

I think I'll keep popping these onto this thread.................................

Foreign ‘Birdwatchers’ again roam around Malta’s Countryside

On the morning of last Saturday 10th instant, the Federation for Hunting & Conservation – Malta (FKNK) organised a thorough search of the whole woodland area of the Miżieb Hunting Reserve, which has been under FKNK’s management since 1986. This intensive search, undertaken by dozens of voluntary FKNK members and their hunting dogs, was filmed and thus recorded. Regrettably this search yielded the carcass of a dog, but no evidence of any bird carcass was found or registered anywhere in the woodland.

‘Around midday’ of Sunday 11th September, by which time all the hunters of the Miżieb area had left because of yet again the total lack of any migrating game-birds, seven foreign ‘birdwatchers’ who are at present in Malta, carried out ‘a random search’ also at Miżieb, and allegedly registered the find of no less than 7 bird carcasses. The same group of ‘birdwatchers’ have daily also registered the ‘weak migration’, which the FKNK can confirm as one of the weakest in living memory for this time of year.

It should also be noted that unauthorised persons are not allowed entry into the Miżieb Hunting Reserve during the hunting open season, which on Sundays is open till 13:00 hours.

Finally, the FKNK is sure that the Police can prevent further similar incidents that last year led to an illegal arrest of an FKNK member who is also in charge of the area. This provocation has to stop and the FKNK looks forward to the Police cooperation as always, to take action in this regard in order to avoid further incidents.

Lino Farrugia

Secretary General - FKNK

Is it just me that finds that name laughable and a complete contradiction?

It's worth noting that here in the United States hunters provide a large amount of the conservation. The DNR (Department of Natural Resources, which basically regulates hunting, fishing, and all things outdoors related) buys land and returns it to its natural state. This is done using the money obtained from hunters buying hunting licenses. The flip side is that hunters are allowed to hunt on the land in the fall. Many hunting organizations (such as Ducks Unlimited and Pheasants Forever, etc.) raise money from hunters in order to buy land that has been altered from its natural state and then donate the land to the DNR or the state who then manage it in order to return it to its natural state. Again, this land is also used for hunting. Because an environment that is conserved in its natural state is ideal for hunting, hunters have a lot of incentive to conserve the environment. So, here in the United States, hunters actually do a lot to preserve and conserve nature and the environment. Now, there are certainly hunters who are careless and do harm the environment but I (and I think most other hunters here in the U.S.) are careful for the above mentioned reasons and I would turn in any hunters who are harming the environment (for which they would be fined, lose their hunting privileges, and possibly even face time in prison). Indeed, there are special hotlines for the purpose of turning in hunters who are behaving inappropriately towards the environment.

Now being from the U.S. and not from Malta I don't know anything about the Federation for Hunting and Conservation (or even how hunting is done in Europe) so I'm not agreeing or disagreeing with anything regarding that aspect of this thread. I also don't want it to appear that I am trying to compare Europe and the U.S. or say that one is better than the other. I just saw the quote above and wanted to make an observation based on my experience that here in the U.S. hunting and conservation are intricately related.

I guess my bottom line is that I don't know if that is a contradiction in Malta, but here in the United States it would not be.

Anyways, that took about twice as long to say as I had intended so I hope I didn't bore too many of you to death with my lengthy (and hopefully literate ;)) explanation!

It's worth noting that here in the United States hunters provide a large amount of the conservation. The DNR (Department of Natural Resources, which basically regulates hunting, fishing, and all things outdoors related) buys land and returns it to its natural state. This is done using the money obtained from hunters buying hunting licenses. The flip side is that hunters are allowed to hunt on the land in the fall. Many hunting organizations (such as Ducks Unlimited and Pheasants Forever, etc.) raise money from hunters in order to buy land that has been altered from its natural state and then donate the land to the DNR or the state who then manage it in order to return it to its natural state. Again, this land is also used for hunting. Because an environment that is conserved in its natural state is ideal for hunting, hunters have a lot of incentive to conserve the environment. So, here in the United States, hunters actually do a lot to preserve and conserve nature and the environment. Now, there are certainly hunters who are careless and do harm the environment but I (and I think most other hunters here in the U.S.) are careful for the above mentioned reasons and I would turn in any hunters who are harming the environment (for which they would be fined, lose their hunting privileges, and possibly even face time in prison). Indeed, there are special hotlines for the purpose of turning in hunters who are behaving inappropriately towards the environment.

Now being from the U.S. and not from Malta I don't know anything about the Federation for Hunting and Conservation (or even how hunting is done in Europe) so I'm not agreeing or disagreeing with anything regarding that aspect of this thread. I also don't want it to appear that I am trying to compare Europe and the U.S. or say that one is better than the other. I just saw the quote above and wanted to make an observation based on my experience that here in the U.S. hunting and conservation are intricately related.

I guess my bottom line is that I don't know if that is a contradiction in Malta, but here in the United States it would not be.

Anyways, that took about twice as long to say as I had intended so I hope I didn't bore too many of you to death with my lengthy (and hopefully literate ;)) explanation!

it's entirely different in europe, probably because america isn't old enough to have developed practices like persecution of endangered species, which they can then call cultural traditions.

we also have people involved in hunting over here who would happily poison, shoot and trap every bald eagle in america in order to make sure there were plenty of prarie dogs for them to shoot.
obviously the species aren't bald eagle and prarie dog, but it explains the principle perfectly

as for any hunter turning in someone who damages the land or ecosystem, the standard response from the vast majority of european hunters would be along the lines of, what crimes, nothing happened round here, people don't do things like that it's not a problem, obviously hunters don't do such things so it must be the conservation association which works for (insert species and country here) who are doing it to give us a bad name and cause trouble.

if a crime actually does manage to get to a court then the barristers in charge of prosecuting the case and the judges in charge of presiding over the case are then likely to be the people who actually own the shooting estate which is being prosecuted, and if not then they've probably been their fag while they were at eaton or harrow together.

Last edited:
Another email

Live-capturing of Huntable Species – SOLE Government Discretion

The opening of a live-capturing season for huntable species depends SOLELY on Government’s good will or otherwise.

The Federation for Hunting & Conservation – Malta (FKNK) carries full responsibility of this statement after participating at an urgent Malta Ornis Committee Meeting held yesterday specifically to discuss this season.

On 15th June 2011, the Malta Ornis Committee made its recommendations to Government to declare live-capturing open seasons for this autumn/winter for the huntable species turtle doves, quails, golden plovers and song thrushes, as the same Government has always done every year since Malta’s EU Membership in 2004.

The Ornis Committee Meeting was informed that Government has now requested a solid scientific Study regarding the conservation status of the species. Since Government had decided to apply a derogation to permit live-capturing of these huntable species, the Meeting agreed that a scientific Study should be undertaken and that this is to be ongoing.

The FKNK has already supplied Government with the necessary tools and Studies for it to open live-capturing seasons for these otherwise perfectly legal huntable species as it has done every year. The FKNK therefore once again appeals to Government and the Prime Minister to confirm the open season dates as recommended by the Ornis Committee. This should be declared immediately, also so that the confusion and sufferings being endured by the thousands of Maltese and Gozitan trappers at present are relieved, since at the end of the day the same Maltese and Gozitan citizens and their families are at the receiving end of such Government decisions.

Lino Farrugia

Secretary General

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back