• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kingfisher Locations? (1 Viewer)

Ashjackson

Wildlife Photographer and bird lover.
Hi everyone my name is Ash and I am a wildlife photographer and love Kingfishers and wondered if anybody near Bodmin, Cornwall knows of any good spots to photograph Kingfishers perched? I see them in most places but never seem to find the perch area only flyby's. Thank you all in advance.

They'll perch anywhere along the edge of whatever water they are fishing in; the important thing for them is to be hidden from what they think of as potential predators, which of course includes you.

Therefore your best option is to set up a screen or hide which you can be in without the bird seeing you. Then it will be much more likely to use perches close to you. You can also put a stick in the water to male a good perch for it; something sticking about a metre or so above the water surface is ideal.

Attachments

• Picture 635lo.jpg
    Picture 635lo.jpg
    555.8 KB · Views: 107
They'll perch anywhere along the edge of whatever water they are fishing in; the important thing for them is to be hidden from what they think of as potential predators, which of course includes you.

Therefore your best option is to set up a screen or hide which you can be in without the bird seeing you. Then it will be much more likely to use perches close to you. You can also put a stick in the water to male a good perch for it; something sticking about a metre or so above the water surface is ideal.

Thank you Nutcracker, I have a hide and have sat for many hours but think I must be in the wrong places they usually have a favoured spot. I have also put a couple of perches in but not seen them use them.

I got this one a week or so ago my best to date no crop at all.

Attachments

• DSC_0049 copy - Copy.jpg
    DSC_0049 copy - Copy.jpg
    374.9 KB · Views: 120
Last edited:
Thanks just want a couple more locations.

I'd have thought Bodmin Parkway railway station would be perfect for them.
Go through the gate to Lanhydrock house and walk for 5 minutes to the bridge - I see Dippers there - just past the bridge turn hard right and there's a pond.

The whole walk to Lanhydrock follows the Camel river.

A bit far but Hayle harbour has two regular visiting Kingfishers - they perch on the boat ladders - also seen at the Mill pond close by (Water rail there too).

Further on RSPB Ryans field also has Kingfishers from the hide and also at the weir discharging into Hayle estuary.

Also seen rarely at Marazion marsh and Newlyn harbour.

I have a cabin on a lake in northern Minnesota and see several. I have a small island about 55 yards tree line to tree line in front of my place. They love the island, and it gives me a good view of them. I have plenty of wilderness shoreline identical to that of the island, but they love the island. Just a thought for a type of area to consider.

I'd have thought Bodmin Parkway railway station would be perfect for them.
Go through the gate to Lanhydrock house and walk for 5 minutes to the bridge - I see Dippers there - just past the bridge turn hard right and there's a pond.

The whole walk to Lanhydrock follows the Camel river.

A bit far but Hayle harbour has two regular visiting Kingfishers - they perch on the boat ladders - also seen at the Mill pond close by (Water rail there too).

Further on RSPB Ryans field also has Kingfishers from the hide and also at the weir discharging into Hayle estuary.

Also seen rarely at Marazion marsh and Newlyn harbour.

Thank you Chris, I got my first distant shot of a kingfisher on the pond at respryn but they never seem to be there and I go most days. I see them on the river most times but never see them perched I will try the hide on the way to polzeath I have been there once but a long time ago.

Thank you again.

Amazingly we had a kingfisher visit our fish-less pond last week, so I don't expect him to return, however I saw another sitting on rocks at Drift reservoir a couple of days ago - and that is about 2 miles from where I live. Just thought you might like to visit the hide there if you haven't already!

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back