• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Advice please! (1 Viewer)

adw73uk

Hi,

I'm trying to use my Fuji F700 to do some hand held digiscoping through an Opticron IS60 and HDF zoom eyepiece. However, whenever I offer the camera up to the lens I can't get an image - only half an image or none at all. If I zoom right out I can get an image but only at the centre of a dark circle. I've previously used this camera with a mighty midget V1 with no problems.

I'm not into this in a big way and only want to capture odd images so want to stick to hand held operation.

Any tips on what I can do or am I 'urinating against a strong wind'?

Thanks in advance

Take this with a grain of salt as I am not familiar with your camera or scopes. But, if you are using the same camera and it works with one scope and not another then I would be willing to bet that the problems lies with either the Opticron's eye relief or less possibly the size of the ocular lens on the eyepiece and the size of the lens on the camera.

For the former, have you tried just moving the camera closer and farther away from the eyepiece? If the eye relief is extremely short on the Opticron you are using then that would explain the lack of an image at the non-zoom setting and the extreme vignetting at max zoom.

If it is the latter then I honestly do not know what to suggest. I do know that if the camera lens is much wider than the ocular lens on the scope's eyepiece then you will again run into vignetting problems.

Sorry I could not help more. Maybe one of the more knowledgable digiscoping folks will chime in.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back