• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon P6000 /KOWA 883 Prominar (1 Viewer)

Vignetting - Couple of points: There can't be too many ocassions when you wouldn't use most, if not all, of the optical zoom on the camera.

To be honest Andy, the picture quality is likely to be better the lower the camera zoom and the lower the scope zoom. As either (or both) increase, any problems are magnified. I try to keep both as low as possible, but agree, I tend to get better results zooming the camera rather than the scope, which I mostly use at 20x.

Cheers

Pete

Great shots

Tried the camera again ....... Poor light and against a white background (sky), I think the camera's done a pretty decent job.

Cheers

Pete

Fantastic images Pete. What great metering....and focus.....you can even see detail in the white coverts as well as in the darker areas of the bird. And all this against a bright background.

Vibration, zoom and dangly bits!! The biggest problems!

Vignetting - Couple of points: There can't be too many ocassions when you wouldn't use most, if not all, of the optical zoom on the camera.......

Cheers,

Andy.

There may be occasions when you need the high zoom on the camera e.g. for very distant birds but generally, the lower the mag of the eyepice and the lower the mag of the camera the better the image will be. This is mostly because of shake being magnified by the scope and then even more by the camera. It is also easier to get a good shutter speed, better focus and to follow a moving bird with lower mags.

The biggest ways to improve most digiscoping set ups is to get rid of straps, cases and dangly bits which are wind socks to vibration. The bigger and heavier the tripod head and legs the better!

Dave

P6000 macro.
As an aside, can anyone comment on the Macro performance of the P6000. The 4500 had an excellent macro, with manual focus being especially useful for damselflies. Does the P6000 match or improve on this?

It's been a while since this thread was alive, but just to show what a good combination these two are, here's a few shots from my recent trips. If used well (i.e. a good stable set up, keep the ISO as low as possible etc), great results are possible, and on many occasions, the digiscoped shots out-perform those taken with my Canon 40d and 100-400is lens by some margin, and not just due to the extra power of the digiscoping combo.

Cheers

Pete :t:

Attachments

• Roseate-Tern-220.jpg
    Roseate-Tern-220.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 189
  • Ruddy-Kingfisher-36.jpg
    Ruddy-Kingfisher-36.jpg
    116.7 KB · Views: 178
  • Lanceolated Warbler web-1.jpg
    Lanceolated Warbler web-1.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 233
  • Amazilia Hummingbird.jpg
    Amazilia Hummingbird.jpg
    128.5 KB · Views: 177
  • Andean Cock-of-the-Rock 2.jpg
    Andean Cock-of-the-Rock 2.jpg
    176.2 KB · Views: 182
Wow, those are really good ones. No. 1 is my favourite.
I'm using same setup (P6000 + Kowa 883) and my latest is this Lanius collurio juv. I use 25x LER eyepice almost 99 % of time.
I have few others in Nikon Coolpix P6000 topic.

Attachments

• 002626_lanius_collurio_w1.jpg
    002626_lanius_collurio_w1.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 162
Last edited:
It's been a while since this thread was alive, but just to show what a good combination these two are, here's a few shots from my recent trips. If used well (i.e. a good stable set up, keep the ISO as low as possible etc), great results are possible, and on many occasions, the digiscoped shots out-perform those taken with my Canon 40d and 100-400is lens by some margin, and not just due to the extra power of the digiscoping combo.

Outstanding shots Pete. I am very impressed!

Dave

Bizarrely, the one (sort of) problem that I have is the camera picks up too much detail - more than the eye notices, so that you are seeing each filament of each feather and it looks unnatural! I suppose it's a good problem to have. See the attached Tawny Antpitta and the closer crop below.

Cheers

Pete

Attachments

• Tawny-Antpitta-21.jpg
    Tawny-Antpitta-21.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 159
  • Tawny-Antpitta-22.jpg
    Tawny-Antpitta-22.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 151

Cheers

Pete :t:

Very impressive images Pete. What a wonderful range of birds.
Neil

Back to the original comment regarding adapters. My son Paul uses Kowa's swing away adapter on his 883 and it is very good albeit pricey. Have to say it looks a lot more compact on the scope than that combo in the thumbnail.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back