• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Anyone for tennis? (1 Viewer)

Dave Williams

I see Nikon have launched their 500mm and 600mm super telephoto lenses and in doing so have shaved 100gm weight and 0.1m minimum focus distance below Canon's specs. Initially prices are high but they will come down no doubt and at even at launch the 600 is "only" about £750 dearer than Canon's is now.
What now in reply Canon ?
Ball is in your court!!!

You have a 500 Mk2 Dave - do Canon need to reply?
I feel happy for Nikon shooters as their long lenses have lagged behind (or just about equaled) the Canon Mk1 SuperTeles and the Canon Mk2 lenses merely added insult to injury. Hopefully these new models will be fully competitive and level the playing field a bit.
A while ago I had the opportunity to play with a Nikon 500 F4 (current model) with a D4 and did not have my sock blown off - far from it I was a touch underwhelmed. It all worked OK but was slow and clunky compared to My 1DX and Canon 800mm F5.6 (1 stop slower and not even a Mk2 type lens) so I hope these two new lenses give Nikon users the improvements they need/deserve.

You have a 500 Mk2 Dave - do Canon need to reply?
I feel happy for Nikon shooters as their long lenses have lagged behind (or just about equaled) the Canon Mk1 SuperTeles and the Canon Mk2 lenses merely added insult to injury. Hopefully these new models will be fully competitive and level the playing field a bit.
A while ago I had the opportunity to play with a Nikon 500 F4 (current model) with a D4 and did not have my sock blown off - far from it I was a touch underwhelmed. It all worked OK but was slow and clunky compared to My 1DX and Canon 800mm F5.6 (1 stop slower and not even a Mk2 type lens) so I hope these two new lenses give Nikon users the improvements they need/deserve.

I agree but there doesn't seem anywhere to go as far as the superteles are concerned..maybe a built in TC.... so where do they go to next?

next has to be a tele that allows the astronauts in the space station to photograph Wimbledon from where they are. 8-P

Niels

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back