• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

K10D interface question (1 Viewer)

bkrownd

Reading the dpreview K10D review brings up a question. There is an AF button on back, which the review says in AF-S mode runs the AF once on the currently selected AF area. I also see a custom setting in the menus that suggests that you can turn off the usual AF action triggered by a half-press of the shutter button. (Custom Menu -> green "AF by press halfway" on/off)

So, does this mean that in AF-S mode you can disable the half-shutter-press triggering of AF, and instead ONLY trigger AF cycles with the rear "AF" button?

Hi bk
You are correct, a setting is available in the custom functions to disable the halfway press on the shutter release button for the AF lock (this also applies to AF-C as well as AF-S) this setting disables the halfway press on the shutter button and transfers AF lock solely to the AF button (this links me to point out another typical example of reviewers not getting their facts right, see note below*)

In addition the new firmware update for the K10D has added another feature, A further custom function can be set for the AF button, this enables you to have the focus point set to auto (multipoint) or even user selected, but pressing and holding the AF button revert focus lock back to centre point (until released)

*A quick note on reviews, Typically another "assumption" by those who dont really know what their talking about, A leading UK photo Magazine recently said (in so many words) that the AF button was pointless as it did nothing that the halfway press on the shutter release already did........errr, well I beg to differ as the custome function setting above reveals, anyone with unsteady fingers would be firing off frame after unwanted frame if they couldn't control the halfway press on the shutter release, hence the addition of a seperate AF button on the camera, programmable to be used or not.

I have found the AF button invaluable when trying to focus on difficult subjects, the ability to keep a thumb on this button and lock AF while not having to worry about applying to much pressure and the shutter firing.
My Pentax istD had this feature and I have been using it for the past three years, brilliant!

So jealous... *sigh* Disconnecting AF from the shutter button has been one of my fondest wishes since I got the FZ-7. (same for metering) A dedicated AF trigger would be wonderful to have.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back