• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Whatever Happened To Swaro's Latest Bin? (1 Viewer)

Mac,

One thing I have learned from reading Henry's and others posts over the years is that there is the actual physical measurement of an optical characteristic and then there is the subjective, observable difference. From what I remember reading in an independent light transmission test of some of the higher end binoculars (assuming 8x42 configuration) the Zeiss FL had the highest overall transmission percentage...somewhere around 93% if I remember correctly. The Zeiss Conquest ABK was in second with over 90%. Third was the Swaro EL (around 89%) followed by the Ultravid (87%)...and then more distantly behind were the Swaro SLC and Leica Trinovid (82-84%)...and assuming that second last model was tested prior to the "Neu" version with the upgraded coatings.

As for the "apparent brightness" that seems to depend on contrast, apparent sharpness and a variety of other characteristics/conditions. I have often seen it referenced that the Swarovski optical products "come into their own" in lower light conditions. This could obviously be the result of the specifc choice of coatings and how they are utilized to enhance contrast under certain conditions.

Just something to think about.

I have to politely disagree here. My experience with the Zeiss is not that it's brighter, just more "contrasty" which gives one the illusion of brightness. I find the Zeiss image "harsh" compared to the Swaro and Leica. In low light conditions the Zeiss is no "brighter" than the Leica Ultravid...

Frank's right about measured light transmission. Here's a link to one German test which measured the so called "night" transmission of the Zeiss 8x56 FL at 94% and the 8x50 Ultravid at 88%. That's similar to the difference I've seen in other lab tests.

http://www.zeiss.de/C12567A800347580/EmbedTitelIntern/Test_Pirsch_11-06/$File/Test_Pirsch_11_2006.pdf

Subjective impressions are another thing. What you see as harsh and artificial is likely the very same thing I see as vivid and life like. Happily, there are binoculars available to suit us both.

Henry

Last edited:
I remember seeing Surveyor's graph showing transmission curve of Swarovski, Zeiss, Leica and recent chinese ED binoculars. But I cannot find it any more. My impression is that it is about 85-90% overall transmission.

I remember seeing Surveyor's graph showing transmission curve of Swarovski, Zeiss, Leica and recent chinese ED binoculars. But I cannot find it any more. My impression is that it is about 85-90% overall transmission.

I think this is the graph you are talking about. Unfortunately I have never had a Zeiss FL to test, so have no idea of their characteristics.

http://www.birdforum.net/showpost.php?p=1608841&postcount=4

Best
Ron

I much prefer Ron's way of presenting light transmission graphs for the full visible spectrum to the dumbed down single wavelength measurements for "day" (presumably 550-560 nm) and "night" (500-510 nm) used in the "Pirsch" test.

Looking at his graph for the Ultravid you can see that the peak transmission is around 94% at 620-630 nm, but falls to around 87% at 550 nm and 83% at 500 nm, so his measurements for the Ultravid are lower than the Pirsch test.

Unfortunately there are no real standards for how to present light transmission measurements on the rare occasions when manufacturers actually supply them. Is a single number provided by the manufacturer the peak transmission at one wavelength or transmission at 550 nm to correspond to daylight eye sensitivity or overall average transmission?

Thanks Ben. That's useful info... do you know if Swaro plans on an 8x32 in the new design?

I don't think there will be one next year. My impression is that they want to get the 42mm's out there and then ease into other sizes. I have to imagine that it's inevitable that there will eventually be a 32mm version available, just not next year.

Ben

Ben Lizdas
Sales Manager
Eagle Optics
www.eagleoptics.com

At birdfair uk this year, I asked the swarovski people about the release date for the 32mm swarovision model.
I was told that they planned to release them some time in 2011.

Tim

We just got a green light to post pricing on the new 42mm EL's.
The new 8.5x42 will run $2399, the 10x42 $2479.
We should have them live on our website by the end of the day with all other relative specs.
Personally, I was expecting the 8.5x to run around $2500 and was delighted to see it come in a bit under....

Ben

Ben Lizdas
Sales Manager
Eagle Optics
www.eagleoptics.com

Wow, that's a lot of monies! |8.|

You bet your sweet bippy it is a lot of monies! Considering you can get this true 4 inch APO telescope with all the listed accessories for about the same price!

https://www.highpointscientific.com/store/viewItem.asp?idProduct=2574

But of course, with this binocular you are dealing with 2 tubes rather than one! I don't know if it required twice as much thinking to manufacture, but at the price quoted it might require thinking twice before buying! :eek!:

Bob

I think most of these specs may already be out there on some of the European websites, but nonetheless, anyone interested in checking out the details on F.O.V., eye relief, etc..we've got it up on our website now:

http://www.eagleoptics.com/?query=swarovision

I've had them in my hands a few times but not really in a situation where I was able to do a comparative analysis with the competition. My initial impression was very favorable however, which it should be considering the price point we're talking about.

Ben

Ben Lizdas
Eagle Optics
www.eagleoptics.com

We just got a green light to post pricing on the new 42mm EL's.
The new 8.5x42 will run $2399, the 10x42 $2479.
We should have them live on our website by the end of the day with all other relative specs.
Personally, I was expecting the 8.5x to run around $2500 and was delighted to see it come in a bit under....

Ben

Ben Lizdas
Sales Manager
Eagle Optics
www.eagleoptics.com
Ben: Went to your EO site & you show the new 8.5x at $2,598.89 and the 10x at $2754.44--given that Swaro has a 'built-in discount' of 10% on their MSRP, that should make the pricing on the 8.5x at $2,339 instead of $2,399--am I correct? The 10x shows correctly at $2479.

Ben: Went to your EO site & you show the new 8.5x at $2,598.89 and the 10x at $2754.44--given that Swaro has a 'built-in discount' of 10% on their MSRP, that should make the pricing on the 8.5x at $2,339 instead of $2,399--am I correct? The 10x shows correctly at $2479.

Yikes! Thanks for the quick help on that one. Correct pricing coming soon...very soon. BTW yes, you are correct, $2339 and $2479.....

Ben

How come at the current exchange rate us Brits have to pay £1815 = $2961 for the 10x and £1745 = $2847 for the 8.5x ?

Yikes! Thanks for the quick help on that one. Correct pricing coming soon...very soon. BTW yes, you are correct, $2339 and $2479.....

Ben

Ben, the FOV specs on EO website don't seem to be right. Swarovski EL website has them as 399ft and 336ft @1000 yards.

Ning

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back