• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

How is your 2012 List Going? (2 Viewers)

Luckily one of my housemates lives in the New Forest and more importantly is patient with birders which allowed a couple of us to do a 2 day twitch in South Wales for the Yellowthroat and the New Forest for the goodies in there and ended up connecting with 4 North American vagrants!

21/02/12
144. American Wigeon
145. Common Yellowthroat

22/02/12
146. Spanish Sparrow UK Lifer
147. Crossbill
148. Dark-eyed Junco
149. Dartford Warbler
150. Spotted Sandpiper
151. Hawfinch
152. Bewick's Swan

93. Yellow-bellied Sapsucker, Bluff Woods Conservation Area, Halls, Missouri
94. Fox Sparrow, Bluff Woods Conservation Area, Halls, Missouri

Yesterday was quiet at Galveston/Bolivar, except for 6000+ American Avocets. Added only:
152. Boat-tailed Gracke
153. Marbled Godwit.

I'd almost given up hope of finding a Hermit Thrush at the college campus but then one ran across my path this morning.\
154. Hermit Thrush

Jeff
www.jeffincypress.blogspot.com

Found at the Poosey Conservation Area near Chillicothe, Missouri (February 27th)

95. Short-eared Owl
96. Loggerhead Shrike
97. American Woodcock

And at Pershing State Park near Laclede, Missouri (February 28th)

98. Wood Duck
99. Turkey Vulture

100. Golden Eagle, Swan Lake National Wildlife Refuge, Sumner, Missouri

I've just completed a move from Indiana to West Virginia and I am now hooked up to the internet and can post again. Apart from unpacking, I've been working on my new West Virginia year and life lists. Last Sunday, I also went to northeast Ohio to look for a Black-tailed Gull that has been in the harbor at Ashtabula for the last couple of months or so, a potential lifer. (I went there about three or four weeks ago and dipped). This time, I saw my target, plus a couple of other new birds for the year, so I'm now up to 119.

Ashtabula, Ohio:

117. Black-tailed Gull
118. Snowy Owl

Aurora, West Virginia:

119. Red-breasted Nuthatch

Dave

102. Blue-winged Teal, Lake Contrary, Saint Joseph, Missouri.

* I found a single, drake for my first occurrence of this species for 2012 in Missouri.

1. Blue jay
2. Cardinal
3. European starling
4. Dove
5. Sparrow
6. M- starling
7. F- starling
8 red tail hawk
9. House finch
10. Tufted titmouse
11. Turkey vulture
12. Crow
13. Red bellied wood pecker
14. Canadian goose
15. Mallard
16. Common crackle
17. White breasted nut hatch

Last edited:
103. Pied-billed Grebe, Squaw Creek National Wildlife Refuge, Mound City, Missouri.

* Also had twenty-two (22) species of waterfowl today, but none were new for the year!

My Running Total - March 07

Between awful weather, and an awful cold, I haven't been able to do anything for my list since January. Finally got out again today, briefly, but not until just after 6:00 p.m. By that time, most of the birds in my neighbourhood had settled down for the night, so I didn't find much.

2) House Sparrow
3) American Robin
4) Canada Goose
5) Northern Cardinal

Today, 03/08/2012 Columbia Bottom Conservation Area.
87 - Tree Swallow (pic 1)
88 - Greater Yellow Legs (seen two since last Thur., first pics today, Pic 2)

Hopeful that Bank Swallows will return after colony was lost to high water
on missouri river last year. Most adult birds seemed to escape, horrific to see.

Attachments

• K5__9429.jpg
    K5__9429.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 37
  • K5__9441.jpg
    K5__9441.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 37
I was surprised to see that my year total to date is within one bird of where it was at this time last year.

During spring break last year we spent a couple of days in the Texas hill country and added 24 species. We're going back up there on Sunday for a couple of days. I wonder what we'll see this time. I'm hoping for a Green Kingfisher. This is a bird I've been wanting to see ever since we came to Texas 9 years ago.

Jeff

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back