• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

5Dsr thread (1 Viewer)

GYRob

I decided to get a 5Dsr as i like the idea of a full frame view and be able to crop in and get the 7DmkII Pixel density out of a full frame shot ,this should be handy when tracking a bird in flight as you see so much more around the bird compared to the view a 1.6 crop gives so should help in picking the bird up in the view finder with long lenses.

From my little time with it focusing is at leased as good as the 7d mkII , the camera feels solid and the controls seem right to me .
I have set it to fine picture style and that looks about right to me the shots look nice and clean and of cause very detailed .

Just a grab shot in the garden 600f4isL mkII 1/3200 f4 iso 500 just a little pp work as per my normal work flow .
Rob.

full frame and 100% crop

Attachments

• FULL-FRAME.jpg
    FULL-FRAME.jpg
    148.6 KB · Views: 296
  • CROP.jpg
    CROP.jpg
    159.6 KB · Views: 393
Another shot 600f4isL mkII 1/2500 f4 iso 500 full frame and 100% crop

Attachments

• 0F7A0135-full.jpg
    0F7A0135-full.jpg
    153.6 KB · Views: 172
  • 0F7A0135-crop.jpg
    0F7A0135-crop.jpg
    152.4 KB · Views: 252
Putting the above aside, I guess the main thing i (we?) want to know is how it compares against (say) the 1Dx in terms of image quality taking into account its (relatively) low ISO range, dynamic range and frames per second. I know it isn't a like for like comparison, but its end use (bird photography) does not necessarily need to take that into account. Like your images above with a 600. Some comparison shots with a 1Dx would be great to look at, together with your hands on feedback/opinion on what you think.

Thanks for posting!

M.

Is yours an advance copy, or a regular purchase? I don't know of any sold in the UK except yours?

Michael.

Not advanced but from abroad , the delivery date they gave me was a little out so I think they made an effort to get me one quickly :)

Rob.

Putting the above aside, I guess the main thing i (we?) want to know is how it compares against (say) the 1Dx in terms of image quality taking into account its (relatively) low ISO range, dynamic range and frames per second. I know it isn't a like for like comparison, but its end use (bird photography) does not necessarily need to take that into account. Like your images above with a 600. Some comparison shots with a 1Dx would be great to look at, together with your hands on feedback/opinion on what you think.

Thanks for posting!

M.

If I get chance I will Mike but the weather is poor over the next few days .
As far as I can tell the AF is the same as the 7dmkII just a little below the 1DX .

I do like the in camera crop but I wont use it much as its great to see and use full frame knowing you can crop in Later as it does make it easier to find the bird in the view finder as there is so much more visible.

Rob.

I know this is a poor shot but does show what a long range 100% bird crop looks like .
this was with a 600f4isL mkII 1/1250 sec f4 iso 800

Rob.

Attachments

• 0F7A0147-full-frame.jpg
    0F7A0147-full-frame.jpg
    146 KB · Views: 293
  • 0F7A0147-small.jpg
    0F7A0147-small.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 426
I think the high ISO performance will be very interesting to see. My guess is that it will be more similar to that of the 7D2 than the 5D3 because of the pixel density but it woiuld be nice if it was better.

just a quick 100% Crop set I set both cameras to about the same picture style no pp done, Lens 300f2.8 isL MK1 at f2.8 all shots and 1/3200 sec for the 1600iso and 1/6400 for the 3200 iso shots.
target was about 60ft away full frame from the 5dsr all shots jpeg .

Rob

Attachments

• 0F7A0274-CROP.jpg
    0F7A0274-CROP.jpg
    164.3 KB · Views: 207
  • 0F7A0275-CROP.jpg
    0F7A0275-CROP.jpg
    162 KB · Views: 218
  • AX6K7068--CROP.jpg
    AX6K7068--CROP.jpg
    160.6 KB · Views: 180
  • AX6K7069--CROP.jpg
    AX6K7069--CROP.jpg
    165.6 KB · Views: 203
  • 0F7A0274-full-frame.jpg
    0F7A0274-full-frame.jpg
    161.7 KB · Views: 144
I'm curious to know if anyone else has purchased a 5Ds and how are they finding it.
What's your latest opinion Rob ?
I imagine it has everything the 7D2 has and more. There again, it should have at 3x the price.
cheers Dave

I'm curious to know if anyone else has purchased a 5Ds and how are they finding it.
I imagine it has everything the 7D2 has and more. There again, it should have at 3x the price.
cheers Dave

I haven't got one, but I had a conversation with a bloke last week who has.

He was in a hide and he said it was magnificent for that sort of work, static shots, but it was very slow to record images and it was no good for birds in flight.

If he wanted to photograph more active subjects he used his 7DII.

I haven't got one, but I had a conversation with a bloke last week who has.

He was in a hide and he said it was magnificent for that sort of work, static shots, but it was very slow to record images and it was no good for birds in flight.

If he wanted to photograph more active subjects he used his 7DII.

Presumably he had a fast memory card ? I was with someone the other day who's 7D2 was not shooting at high speed and it was a matter of adjusting the in camera settings. Presumably this wasn't the case here as he had a 7D2 as well. The fps rate is similar to the 5D3 and yes, it is a bit on the slow side for capturing action.

o:D
seems like waste of money to buy a nice FF cam and the use it in crop mode…

I am confused by the whole issue of in camera crop. I tried the 7D2 and the claimed 1.6 crop compared to either my 1DX or 5D3 didn't seem that apparent. I saw the advantage of being between 15-20%, that said all three have different pixel counts which accounted for the difference.
Is cropping in camera simply doing what you can do on your computer in PP ? What advantages are there in having it as a feature in camera. The only one I can think of if there is if you know you will have to crop the image later you can save some memory space on your camera card.
If the image you see through the viewfinder is magnified to the crop factor then that would be very useful... but it isn't.
Fine detail is all very well but only required for huge blow ups. As for huge crops, well there are other considerations that don't make this an alternative to getting closer to the subject.

cheers Dave

To be honest I have not had much chance to use it im Just too busy but I am happy with it .
I use a fast card so it does write quickly AF is just like the 7dmkII .

One thing I love about it over the 7dmkII is that you can pick birds up easier with the FF view finder yet can crop in to what the 7 gives .

FPS is ok as long as you hold back for the bird to give a fair size image so you don't fill the buffer to quick with tiny images .
Although im lucky enough to have a 1dx I don't always take it over the 5dsr I would say its 50/50 .
Rob.

To be honest I have not had much chance to use it im Just too busy but I am happy with it .
I use a fast card so it does write quickly AF is just like the 7dmkII .

One thing I love about it over the 7dmkII is that you can pick birds up easier with the FF view finder yet can crop in to what the 7 gives .

FPS is ok as long as you hold back for the bird to give a fair size image so you don't fill the buffer to quick with tiny images .
Although im lucky enough to have a 1dx I don't always take it over the 5dsr I would say its 50/50 .
Rob.

Interesting observations, thanks Rob.

I am confused by the whole issue of in camera crop. I tried the 7D2 and the claimed 1.6 crop compared to either my 1DX or 5D3 didn't seem that apparent. I saw the advantage of being between 15-20%, that said all three have different pixel counts which accounted for the difference.
Is cropping in camera simply doing what you can do on your computer in PP ? What advantages are there in having it as a feature in camera. The only one I can think of if there is if you know you will have to crop the image later you can save some memory space on your camera card.
If the image you see through the viewfinder is magnified to the crop factor then that would be very useful... but it isn't.
Fine detail is all very well but only required for huge blow ups. As for huge crops, well there are other considerations that don't make this an alternative to getting closer to the subject.

cropping before or after is the same,
but as you say, cropping in camera will save space,
but you will loose IQ, less resolution, more noise, less bokeh, etc.
getting closer is always better,
if you don't disturb the bird, that is.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back