• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swarovski New binocular launch (1 Viewer)

We are forgetting reduction in weight which is good in 10*42 I.e. 40 GMs

Sanjay

Sanjay:

I am wondering if the very small weight difference is important to you or
others. I have found those advertised weights may not be very
accurate.

Would that mean much to your buying decision ? If it were me, it would
not mean anything.

Jerry

Sanjay:

I am wondering if the very small weight difference is important to you or
others. I have found those advertised weights may not be very
accurate.

Would that mean much to your buying decision ? If it were me, it would
not mean anything.

Jerry

I agree with what you are saying. I was already planning to buy EL 10*42 based on various reviews and some of my own experience with EL 12*50. Now we have some improvements and in weight too which is positive for me. By the way beyond a point every small improvement in weight will matter for those who are going to use it for longer time. 40 gms reduction is not that small. It also give me more reason to buy 10*42 as against 50 mm since now the difference will be 200 gms.

but yes I may not be willing to pay more for this.

Sanjay

theres a nice (slow-motion?) instruction video here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OIfkzNCocYk

Thanks for that! I made a screen grab showing that little "donut" piece which is part of the harness attachment system. If Swaro supplies this piece with the bins, using other straps or harnesses shouldn't be a problem then. Still overengineered though...

About the weight reduction of 40g (if this is real), I agree, this is not much. What matters more, perhaps, is that on paper, the weight advantage of the Zeiss SF is down from 60 g to 20 g now. I just wonder where Swaro saved weight. From the advertised changes, this could only be in the armour. Also, the 32s have not become lighter at all.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    15.5 KB · Views: 117
I'm beginning to get the hang of how BF equipment forums work (for me anyway).

Last year I looked at the nice shots people were getting with the Canon 100-400mm IS lens. There had been rumours of a new version, but those had been going round for years. Bought one. Two months later, Canon bring out a Mark 2 version.

Saw how pleased people were with the EL SV 10x42. Bought a pair. Two months later, Swarovski bring out a new version.

On the plus side, in both cases there don't seem to be startling improvements in optical quality. And I certainly saved a fair bit of money (about £850) by getting the "old" Canon, and it's reasonable to assume there will be a price hike on the bins too.

That first video is for using Swarovski overpriced harness. Other makes, just as good or better, do not have that donut on the end of them. Now What?

If you can afford a pair of swaros,
I think you could afford a new harness…
;)

or just buy the Zeiss SF,
:t:

What would you do? I have just purchased a pair of Swarovski EL10X50 for £1,899 (including harness and cleaning kit). Now the new range has come out. From my perspective none of the changes look like game changers and the optical performance and weight is not changed at all. Lakeside Optics has played the game totally fairly and given me 2 options. I return the binos, take a refund and place an order for a new set, which would be available in September, at £1,935. Alternatively I could get a discount on the pair that I have to £1,780. I have gone for the latter option. It seems to me that is the right way to go unless you regularly trade in your binos.

Rolstone

What would you do? I have just purchased a pair of Swarovski EL10X50 for £1,899 (including harness and cleaning kit). Now the new range has come out. From my perspective none of the changes look like game changers and the optical performance and weight is not changed at all. Lakeside Optics has played the game totally fairly and given me 2 options. I return the binos, take a refund and place an order for a new set, which would be available in September, at £1,935. Alternatively I could get a discount on the pair that I have to £1,780. I have gone for the latter option. It seems to me that is the right way to go unless you regularly trade in your binos.

Rolstone
This morning I spent an hour under the stars with my 10X50 SV. The Pleiades looked as good as ever! You made a wise choice. Enjoy. :t:

I'm beginning to get the hang of how BF equipment forums work (for me anyway).

Last year I looked at the nice shots people were getting with the Canon 100-400mm IS lens. There had been rumours of a new version, but those had been going round for years. Bought one. Two months later, Canon bring out a Mark 2 version.

Saw how pleased people were with the EL SV 10x42. Bought a pair. Two months later, Swarovski bring out a new version.

On the plus side, in both cases there don't seem to be startling improvements in optical quality. And I certainly saved a fair bit of money (about £850) by getting the "old" Canon, and it's reasonable to assume there will be a price hike on the bins too.

That right there is the story of my LIFE! :smoke: But one thing is for certain…when you buy a quality product the new one really isn't THAT much improved as in the case of the EL SV.

From my perspective none of the changes look like game changers and the optical performance and weight is not changed at all.

Well, the change Swarovski made to the strap attachment *is* a game changer in my not so humble opinion. If I wanted to get a Svarovision, I'd get one of the old ones ASAP.

Alternatively I could get a discount on the pair that I have to £1,780. I have gone for the latter option. It seems to me that is the right way to go unless you regularly trade in your binos.

That's exactly what I would have done. Take the discount and run.

Hermann

Last edited:
Well, the changes Swarovski made to the strap attachment *is* a game changer in my not so humble opinion. If I wanted to get a Svarovision, I'd get one of the old ones ASAP.

That's exactly what I would have done. Take the discount and run.

Hermann

I agree. Vespobuteo obviously missed the point.

Yup, they took that page down in a hurry.

A locking diopter? I've never heard that anyone ever had a problem with the old one. Seems like an odd effort.

And evidently no change to the designer luggage--I mean the binocular cases. ;)

Mark

PS: the objective caps look great. I wonder if they'll work on existing Swaros?

I have lost count of the number of times I have accidently pulled the diopter out when focusing. It's the main bugbear of my 8x32SV's. A locking diopter is a good thing as far as I'm concerned.

I wish Swarovski would offer lower edged eyecups as an option as well. In my opinion the eye cups are unnecessary high. I would like to come 1-2mm closer to the eye lens with eyeglasses on.

I wish Swarovski would offer lower edged eyecups as an option as well. In my opinion the eye cups are unnecessary high. I would like to come 1-2mm closer to the eye lens with eyeglasses on.

Consider it noticed.
Same request came for the ATX and that one came also!!

Jan

At least Swaro had the sense to film their promo video in my back yard! ;) (2:55)

thats a nice backyard!

and nice binos,
it will be really hard do choose between SF and EL "neu",
and the 10x50 looks so darn light and convenient in that commercial…
and the ladies always have the 8x32 Sand and the smallest scope,
is this how it looks in swarovski heaven?
a bit stereotypical…hehe
:eek!:

Last edited:
thats a nice backyard!

and nice binos,
it will be really hard do choose between SF and EL "neu",
and the 10x50 looks so darn light and convenient in that commercial…
and the ladies always have the 8x32 Sand and the smallest scope,
is this how it looks in swarovski heaven?
a bit stereotypical…hehe
:eek!:

I watched the promo, and I have large marshes like this on my farm
within 2 miles of my home. If anyone wants to do a birding trip
to the prairie pothole region of ND, we have very good birding.
If you want to do a net search, just google, "birding ND", lots of
private land as well as preserves.
Contact me, I will give you a personal tour. Sorry, no blinds, or
towers, you just get to walk and hike it. I will cook you breakfast
and can line up lodging.

Did you notice how the guy had a orange flotation strap on while
being on the boat, and then he showed how he could quickly switch back to a regular strap.
I am not sure many would do that, but it does show how easy it is to
switch to a different strap.

Jerry

I am not sure why there is weight saving only in 42s and not in 32s and 50s. If the weight saving was because of new armour then it should have been for all. In fact for 32s weight has increased by 15 gms. I know that actual weights can be different but this is what is on papers.

Sanjay

I watched the promo, and I have large marshes like this on my farm
within 2 miles of my home. If anyone wants to do a birding trip
to the prairie pothole region of ND, we have very good birding.
If you want to do a net search, just google, "birding ND", lots of
private land as well as preserves.
Contact me, I will give you a personal tour. Sorry, no blinds, or
towers, you just get to walk and hike it. I will cook you breakfast
and can line up lodging.

Did you notice how the guy had a orange flotation strap on while
being on the boat, and then he showed how he could quickly switch back to a regular strap.
I am not sure many would do that, but it does show how easy it is to
switch to a different strap.

Jerry

Thanks!
Looks like beautiful surroundings,
I might drop by the next time I go to the US,
(but it's not very often I'm afraid..)

Commercials are so funny, and rarely realistic;
like reaching for the binos BEFORE the coffee early in the morning…..nahhh….

The first 3 minutes of the video, I don't think is Norway,
the Black-winged stilt is very rare there (if ever seen?),
but HN might clear that out,

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back