• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Please advise on my shortlist (1 Viewer)

Si-Jay

Hi,

I was hoping you could help me by sharing your experience, advice and opinions (Just previewed this post; longer than I expected, sorry, please stick with it ;) )

I am looking to get a pair of binoculars to improve on those given to me by my Dad some years ago that probably came free with a magazine– I notice there’s a pair going for a fiver on e-bay (Praktica sport CN8x21).

Other than the above I am new to the daunting world of binoculars. I have looked on the 'net to gen up on the lingo and read various reviews / advice pages. As such I have learnt a lot about technical specifications but still do not know why two seemingly identical pairs can cost hundreds of pounds different! This is why I would like the benefit of your experiences.

Because I will be using them for general use while out walking (mostly birding), I have decided I want fairly light, compact binoculars in the 8x24 to 8x30 range. I am happy to spend up to £200 and have got a shortlist that I am interested in. I have chosen those with Bak-4, multi-coated lenses because it sounds impressive and makes me feel like I know what I’m talking about!

Please could anyone give me their thoughts on any of the following or recommend others that I might not yet have considered.

Bausch & Lomb Legacy 8x24
Olympus PC1 8x25
Bushnell Natureview 8x30
Bushnell Voyager 8x25
Opticron MCF 8x24
Opticron Traveller 8x32

Many thanks,
Chris

I have a pair of Nikon sporters 10x36. They are a bargain from Warehouse Express at the moment - half price at £115 (I think). They are pretty good for that price. They aren't waterproof as such, but are water resistant and i've used they in light rain without any problems.

My girlfrind has a pair of Opticron Imagics 10x42 which cost slightly more, but they are waterproof (these are porros, rather than roofs, which the Nikons are).

Ah, just noticed you want compact bins - the Nikons are fairly compact, but not "proper" compacts. Take a look on Warehouse Express website - they may have other bargains on there.

Hi Chris,

A warm welcome to BirdForum from all the Moderators and Admin.

I am not familiar with those bins but I am sure you will get plenty of advice.

Si-Jay said:
Hi,

I was hoping you could help me by sharing your experience, advice and opinions (Just previewed this post; longer than I expected, sorry, please stick with it ;) )

I am looking to get a pair of binoculars to improve on those given to me by my Dad some years ago that probably came free with a magazine– I notice there’s a pair going for a fiver on e-bay (Praktica sport CN8x21).

Other than the above I am new to the daunting world of binoculars. I have looked on the 'net to gen up on the lingo and read various reviews / advice pages. As such I have learnt a lot about technical specifications but still do not know why two seemingly identical pairs can cost hundreds of pounds different! This is why I would like the benefit of your experiences.

Because I will be using them for general use while out walking (mostly birding), I have decided I want fairly light, compact binoculars in the 8x24 to 8x30 range. I am happy to spend up to £200 and have got a shortlist that I am interested in. I have chosen those with Bak-4, multi-coated lenses because it sounds impressive and makes me feel like I know what I’m talking about!

Please could anyone give me their thoughts on any of the following or recommend others that I might not yet have considered.

Bausch & Lomb Legacy 8x24
Olympus PC1 8x25
Bushnell Natureview 8x30
Bushnell Voyager 8x25
Opticron MCF 8x24
Opticron Traveller 8x32

Many thanks,
Chris

Good for you on the BAK-4 glass. All the better binocs use it, and the others are inferior. I really like the Bushnell 7x26 Custom Compact. The newest version is well armored and sells for about $200-250 USD on eBay.

Enjoy the view whatever you do.

Elkcub

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back