• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

advise please (1 Viewer)

brian fielding

Two species i have yet to see in britain are Corncrake and White-tailed eagle. I am planning a trip for next year to try and see them both. I will have four days of which two will be travelling. I would apreciate any advise on when and where to go. I understand the sensitive nature of making public sites for these two species so please use the private message facility if necessary.

Public sites for these that immediately spring to mind are:

RSPB Balranald (North Uist) for Corncrake... Best in mid May I should think, when the birds are back and calling, but the vegetation isn't too high.

Somewhere on Mull for sea eagles - there's a small RSPB viewing hide, for which you have to book in advance. If you search on here, the details are floating around somewhere!

A trip to Mull is going to be the best option. You should be able to see White-tailed Eagle there and can go to nearby Iona for Corncrakes. Round about this time of year would be the best for the latter, before the vegetation gets very tall and makes them extremely hard to see. Quite a few threads on Mull and Iona info - try searching with those words.

brian fielding said:
I will have four days of which two will be travelling.

Given the limited time you have available it would have to be Mull and Iona, although I agree that Balranald is excellent for corncrakes. Even in mid-June I found it easy to see them there - there is a small paddock next to the visitor centre from which one was calling almost continuously. They do eventually move across more open areas if you have a little patience. I also saw them flying between fields.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back