• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Otters on Mull? (1 Viewer)

MarkCaunt

Hi All!
Off to Mull this week. Just wondered if anyone has any suggestions for locations for seeing Otters. I appreciate they can be pretty much anywhere on the island.
Will be fun trying to find! But any pointing in the right direction or current information will be appreciated. Thanks in advance!
:t:

Give Loch na Kael, south side or Loch Scridain. Both can be great but wild animals so hit and miss. I have found park and sit and wait to see one swimming and then watch where it lands.

Phil

Think there is also a place near Salen and somewhere around Craignure. I've had stunning views at the head of Loch na Kael where a small burn runs in near the campsite. Round the side of Loch Scridain, away from the Fionnaport side probably gave the most viewings though, but not as close. Its a great island for wildlife and birds. I have only been in May though.

Cheers and good luck.

Phil

Hi All!
Off to Mull this week. Just wondered if anyone has any suggestions for locations for seeing Otters. I appreciate they can be pretty much anywhere on the island.
Will be fun trying to find! But any pointing in the right direction or current information will be appreciated. Thanks in advance!
:t:

(1) Drive through Salen towards Tobermory. In the bay and on the small islands beyond the 'dead boats' eyesore has been productive. Drive past the boats and there is a pull-off on right where you can scan safely. (2) Watch the loch from Pennyghael.

Let's know if you're successful - and where! We'll be there in September.

Worth considering going out with one of the regular guided tours, as they will know where the Otters are currently active.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back