• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Anyone used Big Norman? (1 Viewer)

Apparently this is a Gibralter based company who use UK handlers. While Canon lenses come with an international warranty Cameras do not so Canon UK would not entertain any warranty claims. A quick web search came up with THIS, quite a lot of negative views if you read through it. You pay your money and take a chance I guess.

Last edited:
Whilst i think i would probably avoid any seller with the company name like Big Norman, unless it was perhaps cheap toys under £5 or something, there appears to be something re warranties on the site

Warranties

Depending on the product you order you have will have one of the following warranties, free of charge to keep your product protected.

1 Year Warranty – Apple Products

After 30 days and inside the first year the item can be taken directly to Apple for repair or you can send it to BigNorman.com who will send it Apple or it’s official nominated repairer for repair, the item will be repaired under warranty covering both parts and labour, a replacement will only be given if the item is deemed un-economical to repair.

2 Year Warranty – Consumer Electronics Items Not Including Apple Products

After 30 days and inside the first year the item can be taken directly to the manufacturer for repair or you can send it to BigNorman.com who will send it to the manufacturer or it’s official nominated repairer for repair, the item will be repaired under warranty covering both parts and labour, a replacement will only be given if the item is deemed un-economical to repair. In the second year the item must be returned to BigNorman.com to qualify for the second year warranty.

3 Year Warranty – Photographic Equipment Only

After 30 days and inside the first year the item can be taken directly to the manufacturer for repair or you can send it to BigNorman.com who will send it to the manufacturer or it’s official nominated repairer for repair, the item will be repaired under warranty covering both parts and labour, a replacement will only be given if the item is deemed un-economical to repair. In the second and third year the item must be returned to BigNorman.com to qualify for the second and third year warranty.

PLEASE NOTE: Accidental damage or misuse will void the warranty. All products that develop a fault within the first 30 days are eligible for a replacement. If you develop a fault with your item it is recommended you contact ourselves so we can troubleshoot and advise on how to get your product fixed in the quickest possible manner. All returns to be sent directly to ourselves will be given a UK repairer address for return. If you wish to return a product please see the returns section of our website.

Whilst i think i would probably avoid any seller with the company name like Big Norman..................

It reminds me of a tiny Daihatsu Van on a roadside on Crete years ago. Big sign propped up against it with the words ''Honest John - Cheap Car Insurance''. |:D|

I will never ever ever use BIGNORMAN.COM again.
Absolutely awful experience. I paid the RRP for a nikon d3100, which was shipped without the battery, the box was damaged, the charger was not a uk plug, the instruction book was a photocopy and the warranty was not valid in any uk nikon repair store.

ive noticed that lots of forum threads seem to get closed down if anyone leaves negative reviews... my review of my experience was deleted from trustpilot.

The company did refund my money, but i am fairly certain they ship out items that have previously been returned to them.

Sorry about the slightly dodgy sounding title! Anyone bought anything from Bignorman.com.? They seem to be the cheapest place to get a Canon 7D http://www.bignorman.com/product/ProductName/Canon-EOS-7D-Body-Only/ProductID/11126/.

Cheers

Good price but apparently [ im told ] they give a european warranty which is useless in GB , have you tried pro-camera shop ? they have it at same price and its a uk company based in carlisle , ive had stuff from them no probs .

Last edited:
A Google and clicking generates a good read !
One might allege that the number of good reviewers with a single review , and people who join a forum to refute disparaging comments/posting the validity of non UK warranty then not post again in the forum , all adds up to a Ms Marple mystery .
Of course , that is only something one might allege , there are some links you may click that have had contents removed under threat of legal action !

Sorry to resurrect a thread that seems mostly done with, but as somebody who's in the market for a new slr and who's looking for a decent price I was intrigued by this statement.

Good price but apparently [ im told ] they give a european warranty which is useless in GB , have you tried pro-camera shop ? they have it at same price and its a uk company based in carlisle , ive had stuff from them no probs .

From their website I got a rather different impression (also, all the text on the `about us' page comes as an image so one can't just copy-and paste it, so I keep this short):

`Pro Camera Shop' is a trading name of `Smart Choice Photo Ltd.' This site is owned and operated by Smart Choice Photo Ltd ...

Smart Choice Photo Ltd is a Hong Kong company (number:1403529) registered to the following address:

Hong Kong address follows.

Andrea

Sorry to resurrect a thread that seems mostly done with, but as somebody who's in the market for a new slr and who's looking for a decent price I was intrigued by this statement.

From their website I got a rather different impression (also, all the text on the `about us' page comes as an image so one can't just copy-and paste it, so I keep this short):

`Pro Camera Shop' is a trading name of `Smart Choice Photo Ltd.' This site is owned and operated by Smart Choice Photo Ltd ...

Smart Choice Photo Ltd is a Hong Kong company (number:1403529) registered to the following address:

Hong Kong address follows.

Andrea

Be VERY wary of any site pertaining to be UK based, and actually being based overseas. This is exactly the same as Simply Electronics. And you know my views on them ;)

I just bought a Canon 600 EX RT from them, £425 which is an outstanding price. The unit took a week to arrive and works fine...the only problem is that the manual in in Japanese

Anyone used Big Norman

I recently purchaced a Canon 550d with 2 lense bundle from them, I was very happy with the speed of delivery, and the camera and lenses were as described. I was so pleased I then bought a 100- 400 canon lense and battery pack from them, also arrived quickly and in perfect order.

I contacted them a few weeks ago to check availability times as I wanted some more equipment that was tagged as out of stock. they told me they had recently been burgled and all stock taken and that they would be back in business as soon as possible.

Big Norman Website down

I recently purchaced a Canon 550d with 2 lense bundle from them, I was very happy with the speed of delivery, and the camera and lenses were as described. I was so pleased I then bought a 100- 400 canon lense and battery pack from them, also arrived quickly and in perfect order.

I contacted them a few weeks ago to check availability times as I wanted some more equipment that was tagged as out of stock. they told me they had recently been burgled and all stock taken and that they would be back in business as soon as possible.

I was wondering why their website was down for maintenance.
I bought a Fuji Finepix HS30EXR bridgecamera from them in July and I am very happy with it. It came within a few days after ordering. I also ordered an 8GB memory card from them, however the brand I received was different from the one I ordered. It crashed after only taking about 50 pictures (unfortunately all momentums and cannot redo them :C). But I thought I'll just format the card and it will be okay. It was, until last night, when the same thing happened. The message it got on the display said: ! Card not initialized. So again I have lost the pictures I took last night. But now I'm not taking any chances with this card and I have bought a new one at a local shop. Same price, however CE labeled so should be better quality! Thx for listening. Would I use Big Norman again? If they go back in business, maybe, but the little stuff I might as well buy at my local Maplin store. ;)

As they provided no goods and no refund after many of my attempts to contact them over the last two and a half months, I am getting a charge back processed on my credit card.

BigNorman did communicate, and did attempt to refund the money, but my definition of a refund is that it arrive in my bank account. It is their responsibility to see this happens.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back