• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Thinking of buying a bridge camera (1 Viewer)

MrBiffa

Hi guys,

I've been looking around for bridge cameras with high zoom and good quality picture is there one that you'd recommend:t:

Canon SX50 or Fuji HS50 are the current 2 most popular. I have friends who use the Canon and I use the Fuji we are all happy

Thanks what about the nikon p520 and the sony dschx300

I haven't used (or had) either of the two mentioned above, but I have had good experience it Fujifilm brifge cameras. I currently own the Fuji Finepix
S8200, and there isn't much to complain about with 16MP and 40x zoom. As Keith mentioned, the HS50 is very popular, and although I haven't ever had one, I'm planning on trading in my S8200 for the HS50. The manual zoom, manual focus, and 42x zoom is a real bonus. THe Fuji SL1000 features 50x zoom, if that's more what you're looking for.

Are there any certain requirements you're looking for on you camera? (ie- amount of zoom, MP, brand, price, etc.) It would help narrow it down your choices.

Fine do you go birding in the UK as well then?

yep, will be out tomorrow morning down at my patch, well before there will be enough light for getting pictures really. That is the sad thing about it, you need good light to get the good photos but you need to be well early to get the good birds.
I got the HS50 as a camera that would give me the opportunity to grab some bird shots when out with my wife for walks etc but still be easy easy enough to handle for 'family' type pictures.

Oh nice camera yeah I'm 13 so have to ask my Dad to go out birdwatching unlike you kKeith I'm limited to where I can go!!! Bu still go down right to the southwest tip of cornwall for birdwatching great spot to go! Problem is neither my Mum, Dad and sister like it ;(

MrBiffa,
If your not in a rush it could be worth waiting another month or so, the Canon SX60 is due out soon.
It's been due out soon for a while unfortunately for those of us waiting to see what it has to offer.
This could work for you 2 ways, it may be exactly what you want, it will also push the price of the SX50 even lower.
You can never have enough zoom.
But remember more zoom introduces problems of it's own, not the least of which is do you have a steady enough hand to hold it.
Lots of zoom will never give you as good a pic as good bird stalking abilities.
If your just starting into photography, the SX50 has more features than you will work out how to use for quite a while.
It's also a good auto everything till you sort your way around it.
Has good vid as well.
A Fuji would be my second pick.

This one is still only in preorder, but finally Olympus have put an EVF in a compact superzoom making them a possibly worthy contender again. Their m4/3 cameras certainly get a lot of good press.

I used to love my Panasonic superzoom, but have changed to the m4/3 format, so I have no personal knowledge of their recent models.

Niels

IMHO:

Don't believe what you are told by camera owners; most think they have the best of the current bunch, the majority don't ;)

Look at the Gallery here, and search for images for specific makes/models. I'd start with the Canon SX50hs and the Panasonic FZ150 and FZ200. Also look at the EXIF data and check the ISO used. In the UK you'll often need ISO 400 - 800; so it's not really important how the camera performs at ISO 100.

Also, don't be fooled by the latest hype; past models were "brilliant" when released, and are still more than capable of great results. Last year's models are usually much cheaper than the newest.

Oh, and I use the Panasonic FZ150, as it does all that I want it to do. Is it better than the rest of the current Superzooms? Compare results with other makes; then decide for yourself ;)

Another vote for the Panasonic FZ200. I've been using one in the UK and abroad for about a year and a half. It has the best EVF of the bridge cameras, better than the Canon SX50 which I also had. Yes it 'only' has 600mm, but it is F2.8 at the long end. Focal length-wise it doesn't matter which you go for you'll always want or ''need' more reach.

Also, ergonomics are important, I found the Canon SX50 too small for my hands, so if you can try before you buy.

Last edited:
Hi. I'd check the various threads and which most closely matches your budget. As Chris has already mentioned, most people think they own the best.

I was talking to one of the members of a local club recently who was taking the Nikon route. He based his decision on viewing other members results. He was also interested in some Pannys but not the newest (FZ72?) due to it lacking a Leica lense?

Good luck with your choice,

Rich

Thanks guys a lot for helping me I never knew how tricky it is to find the perfect camera. I'll have a look at all your suggestions and will probably be very pleased all of them.

Regards

Alex

MrBiffa

Just a comment about the zoom aspect of bridge cameras.
Lots say 20x or 30x zoom, which sounds a lot. This is fairly meaningless.
What you need to know is the max zoom in mm. As Scodgerott commented, "his Panasonic FZ200 zoom maxs out at 600mm (24x)" thats 24 times the low end of its zoom range (25mm).
600mm is about what your eyes normally see,multiplied by about 12.

Also ignore any mention of "Digital zoom".All this does is take your picture and makes each pixel bigger, you can do this yourself on your computer.

I hope this makes sense to you.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back