• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kinlochleven/Glencoe Area Visit (1 Viewer)

Dopper

Hello

I am going on holiday to Kinlochleven/Glencoe Area March half term 2015 and wondered what species I can expect to see, I would love to see an Eagle as I have never seen one in the wild. Is March too early for Ospreys?

Thanks

Chris

Hi again Chris, I'm glad you managed to find your way here.

It rather depends on how early in March you will be here. Ospreys usually start returning around the middle/end of the month.

Hopefully someone with more experience on the west coast will be along soon. To keep you going, though we have an excellent article here in Opus about the Isle of Mull and if you scroll down you will find a link to an excellent web site on Mull Birds, also here is a link to another very good site for Skye Birds.

These should give you a fair idea of what might be around.

Hello

I am going on holiday to Kinlochleven/Glencoe Area March half term 2015 and wondered what species I can expect to see, I would love to see an Eagle as I have never seen one in the wild. Is March too early for Ospreys?

Thanks

Chris

Hi Chris,

You are only a short distance from the Corran Ferry, which takes you over towards Ardnamurchan and Morvern. There are good numbers of Golden and White-tailed Eagles hereabouts. On Ardnamurchan, try the car park at Camas nan Geall a couple of miles beyond the Nadurra centre at NM 562 616 which can produce sightings of both species.
From Lochaline in Morvern, you can catch another ferry to Mull which is brilliant for both species. If you are unsure of exploring yourself, there are several tour companies listed on Mullbirds who will take you round for the day, showing you eagles, otters etc. They can also meet you from the ferry if you don't want to take your car over.

If you want to explore on your own, there is a brilliant book called Best Birdwatching Sites in the Scottish Highlands, which details all these sites and others. But then I am a tad biased as I wrote it;)

PM me if you want more details

Cheers

Gordon

A quick search on the internet seems to indicate that eagles are visible within walking distance of Kinlochleven and presumably ptarmigan can also be found.

For something more exotic, the black duck still seems to be around in Strontian from time to time. If you want a nice round trip after crossing the Corran ferry take the road to Kingairloch and return via Strontian, visiting the bird hide to the west of Strontian whilst you are there. Sea eagles can be seen in this area, although they are not guaranteed.

The other species I might be thinking about would be divers, merganser, goosander, black and red grouse, and snow bunting.

I've seen a golden eagle while walking just above Bridge of Orchy which isn't far from Glencoe, but I think it's just your luck if you see one.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back