• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Zeiss 8x32 FLs (1 Viewer)

Keep us posted on your opinions of them during the long term. I had a Leica Ultravid 10x42 complimented by an 8x42 Victory FL. I sold the Leicas as I was using the 8x all the time. If I had to do it all over again, I'd likely opt for an alpha 8x32. Should I decide to go that way, I'd like to have some long-term opinions on the pros and cons of 32mm. Thanks

Ed gives wise council when it comes to choosing one 32mm over the other, however, the question you asked was more general, the pros and cons of the midsized format.

Stephen Ingraham, who was an advocate of midsized binoculars, had some interesting things to say about their advantages in his reviews of midsized binoculars.

"Wouldn't it be wonderful to own binoculars which weighed less than 12 ounces, fit in your pocket, and yet still provided a satisfying enough view of the bird to substitute for your full sized (or even mid-sized) binoculars, day-in-and-day-out?"

Having owned three of the five binoculars mentioned on the BVD midsized bin review Webpage (SE, LX, Ultima) and having spent about a month with the fourth (SLC), I can answer that question with a resounding "Yes".

But let Steve tell the story...

http://betterviewdesired.com/mid-size-binoculars-bvd.php

Brock

I'd like to have some long-term opinions on the pros and cons of 32mm. Thanks

The 10x32 FL I own is brighter than my Classic 10x40 BGAT* as long as one can possibly do birding over open areas.
Not until after Sun has set and I'm under dense foliage do I need a larger exit pupil, and it should be mentioned that my pupils dilate to 6 mm in darkness.

The 8x32 FL (or equal high end bin) should be usable a few more minutes into the dusk because of their greater exit pupil.
This means that as long as you don't use it for astronomy, you can let it be your everyday bin.

My own set is a 6.5x32 and this 10x32, but I consider getting a 7x43 to be able to use all the light my pupils can swallow.
The larger objective lenses theoretically resolve better, possibly have easier eye placement and reportedly have slightly better 3D experience.*
The improvement for everyday birding will probably be incremental, though, and I'm not absolutely convinced it's worth the expense.

//L

*Note:
Resolution: most binoculars resolve better than the human eye can make use of
Eye placement: my 10x32 has easier eye placement than my 10x40 and (now sold) Minox 8x33.
3D experience - we're not sure whether this corresponds to any real, technical differences or just are a result from the more relaxed view through greater exit pupils. This property is not measurable and may be influenced by expectations.
In any event, porro binoculars promote 3D experience more vividly than the small differences between 32 vs 42 mm roofs.

Last edited:
I got a pair of Zeiss 8X32 FL about ten days ago.
It's very very good and not so heavy as my Leica Trinovid 10X42 BN.
Zeiss 8X32's are easy to carry out for birding and outdoor activities.
I like it so much.

My new (well secondhand really) 8x32 FLs arrived an our or so ago and I' impressed so far. They sit very nicely in my hands and the focus is very smooth, the focus on my Leica BNs now feels very jerky. So far I've only played with them at home, but hope to get out and do some birding with them soon.

There is only one 8x32 that is better. The Nikon 8x32 EDG II. I sold my Zeiss 8x32 FL after comparing them side by side. Holger Merlitz agrees. I compared the Sightron SII Bluesky, Zeiss FL and the Nikon EDG and the Sightron was 3rd and the Zeiss were 2nd and the Nikon's were first. The step up in quality was about equidistant between the three. The big difference is the size of the sweetspot. The Sightron's is about 80%, the Zeiss is about 90%, and the EDG's are 100%. In the EDG's the whole field right to the edge is sharp. The EDG's and the FL's are a tad brighter than the Sightron's also with the dielectric prisms. Also, the EDG's ergonomics are the best of the three with the best balance, the smoothest focuser, the best most comfortable armour and overall the best feel in your hands. But I would say the Zeiss FL's are the best bargain right now because you can get them for about $1200.00 new on E-bay if you look. The Zeiss FL and the Nikon EDG are the two best 32mm's right now.

Last edited:
The big difference is the size of the sweetspot. The Sightron's is about 80%, the Zeiss is about 90%, and the EDG's are 100%. In the EDG's the whole field right to the edge is sharp.

One remark.

The FOV of the Nikon is 94% of that of the Zeiss.

So if the Nikon has a 100% sharp image, it has in fact a (minimum) sweet spot that would be 94% of the image of the Zeiss. So the difference in sweet spot is only 4%. And the Zeiss has a wider FOV.

It's just easier to make binoculars sharp from edge to edge by reducing their FOV (and building in smaller prisms), unless using field flatteners like in the Swarovision (but you lose light with those). It's just not easy to make binoculars with huge FOV and sharp from edge to edge AND with highest possible light transmission, for a compact roof that is.
But I am very pleased with what's on the market already. :eat:

One remark.

The FOV of the Nikon is 94% of that of the Zeiss.

So if the Nikon has a 100% sharp image, it has in fact a (minimum) sweet spot that would be 94% of the image of the Zeiss. So the difference in sweet spot is only 4%. And the Zeiss has a wider FOV.

It's just easier to make binoculars sharp from edge to edge by reducing their FOV (and building in smaller prisms), unless using field flatteners like in the Swarovision (but you lose light with those). It's just not easy to make binoculars with huge FOV and sharp from edge to edge AND with highest possible light transmission, for a compact roof that is.
But I am very pleased with what's on the market already. :eat:

Your calculations sound right but for me it was just more impressive to have a 100% sharp sweetspot right to the edge. It just looks better to my eyes.The EDG has no rolling ball that I can detect either. Your right it is hard to make a binocular with all those things. That's why they costs so much. I didn't notice too much of a light loss when comparing the EDG with Field Flattener to the Zeiss FL without. They are both about equally bright although the Zeiss FL is more color neutral than the EDG. These two are very close though and I decided the EDG was SLIGHTLY better. Again the Zeiss FL at E-bay prices is a better bargain though.

Another difference in favor of the Zeiss 8x32 FL is that it is smaller and lighter than the Nikon. I prefer full-sized bins for most birding, some of which aren't much larger than the EDG. In an 8x32, I'm looking for no-compromise optics and handling in the smallest possible package (for travel). The Leica HD and Zeiss FL are the standouts by those criteria.

--AP

Another difference in favor of the Zeiss 8x32 FL is that it is smaller and lighter than the Nikon. I prefer full-sized bins for most birding, some of which aren't much larger than the EDG. In an 8x32, I'm looking for no-compromise optics and handling in the smallest possible package (for travel). The Leica HD and Zeiss FL are the standouts by those criteria.

--AP

Yes, the Zeiss 8x32 FL's are 20 oz. and the EDG 8x32's are 23 oz. so that is a signifigant difference. I find in my hands the EDG are better balanced because they are longer and not as stubby so you don't feel the weight as much. Everything on the EDG's is smoother than the Zeiss from the eyecups to the focus and the armour is more comfortable and grippy too. The EDG's are magnesium so they are going to be heavier. I kind of prefer magnesium over polycarbonate though even though it is heavier. I notice Zeiss went back to magnesium on their HT's because alot of people wanted it so they must feel the same way. It took a long time to sell my Zeiss 8x32 FL's on E-bay even @ $1150.00 shipped and they were like NIB with Lotutec so I think the coming of the new HT's is putting a damper on the old FL's marketablility. Not to many of them for sale now though. The EDG's are slightly better optically though. It is hard to beat a 100% sweetspot and a sharp view to the edge. I spent alot of time comparing the two and I kept the best for me.

I just picked up a mint used 8x32 FL off Ebay.At first I was a little concerned as the focus wheel was not perfectly silent,but it was smooth,upon further research I find this to be normal as it has just a slight bit of rubbing on the outside where the wheel makes contact with the housing,complete non issue outdoors where it can't be herd out in the open.Optically I am happy,bright and clear in the daylight as well as cloudy conditions,the case however to me seems too bulky and kind of goes against the idea of having a compact mid sized binocular.I spent a couple hours searching the net for a more compact case,think I found one,its a leather case made by Opticron.For those who are interested it costs $32 shipped from the UK,hope it fits well,its dimension are 130x125mm........
http://img855.imageshack.us/img855/5959/opticron21042.jpg

Yes, the Zeiss 8x32 FL's are 20 oz. and the EDG 8x32's are 23 oz. so that is a signifigant difference. I find in my hands the EDG are better balanced because they are longer and not as stubby so you don't feel the weight as much. Everything on the EDG's is smoother than the Zeiss from the eyecups to the focus and the armour is more comfortable and grippy too. The EDG's are magnesium so they are going to be heavier. I kind of prefer magnesium over polycarbonate though even though it is heavier. I notice Zeiss went back to magnesium on their HT's because alot of people wanted it so they must feel the same way. It took a long time to sell my Zeiss 8x32 FL's on E-bay even @ $1150.00 shipped and they were like NIB with Lotutec so I think the coming of the new HT's is putting a damper on the old FL's marketablility. Not to many of them for sale now though. The EDG's are slightly better optically though. It is hard to beat a 100% sweetspot and a sharp view to the edge. I spent alot of time comparing the two and I kept the best for me.

No wonder people snigger at birders behind their backs!

3 ounces is a significant difference! Hoo Haw!:-O:-O:-O

Bob

No wonder people snigger at birders behind their backs!

3 ounces is a significant difference! Hoo Haw!:-O:-O:-O

Bob

Obviously you aren't familiar with the gram-shaving culture of competitive bicycling (which spills over into general road biking culture in the USA). In that world, 3 ounces is an off the charts huge amount of weight.

The larger size of the 32 mm EL and EDG models is more an issue for me than their weight. It makes a big difference in how easy it is to stow them in an accessory pocket of a backpack, camera bag or other handy but secure spot, while traveling.

--AP

The larger size of the 32 mm EL and EDG models is more an issue for me than their weight. It makes a big difference in how easy it is to stow them in an accessory pocket of a backpack, camera bag or other handy but secure spot, while traveling.
--AP

Vice versa over here. My neck don't like additional weight, but my hands like much space to hold the binoculars.

Steve

Obviously you aren't familiar with the gram-shaving culture of competitive bicycling (which spills over into general road biking culture in the USA). In that world, 3 ounces is an off the charts huge amount of weight.

--AP

I have a friend who was big into back packing (and biking too). He used to cut the labels off his shirts, shorts and pants.

He has since had quadruple by-pass surgery. It was successful and now he exercises by walking. I've offered to give him a binocular to use while he takes his morning constitutional along the Susquehanna River Dike but he isn't interested. Said something about it breaking his concentration. Same thing happened to a friend of mine who was a big time jogger. He had his hips replaced too! Now he walks with his Labrador but the dog is more interested in birds than he is.

Bob

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back