• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

8x32 compared to 8x42 (1 Viewer)

bcskr

Anyone have an opinion about how the Zeiss Victory FLs 8x32 and 8x42 compare in terms of brightness, depth of field, ergonomics, or anything else. Which would you choose for your daily go to bins?

I much prefer the 8x42. Pupil position is less finicky and the image appears cleaner and more transparent. There's no difference in depth of field.

Personally I would opt for the 7x42s...brighter, larger exit pupil, better depth of field and a wider true field of view.

But, since you are only looking at the 8x versions, I would opt for the 8x42 as well...for the same reasons Henry mentioned.

I like full-sized better but I end up using the 8x32 a lot for their very close focus and rapid but precise focus control (good for birding + butterflying) and small pack size when hiking/traveling.

--AP

I have a pair of 8x42s which are very fine, but I often regret not getting the 8x32s for their greater convenience and pocketability when flying with cabin luggage only. Experience with 8x32 binoculars suggest that in the 'real world' the inferior performance in poor light is only an issue at limited times during the day,

I like full-sized better but I end up using the 8x32 a lot for their very close focus and rapid but precise focus control (good for birding + butterflying) and small pack size when hiking/traveling.

--AP

Does the 8x42 have a slower focus than the 8x32? Also, the specification on Zeiss's website says both have a close focus of 6.56 feet. Does the 8x32 focus closer in practice?

The big advantage of the 32mm is its size and weight. I think the only mid-size smaller and lighter is the Leica. As it is, the 32mm FL is something like 7 ounces lighter than the 42mm. That's a big difference. If size/weight isn't a big deal I'd go with a 42mm because I have yet to see a 32mm with as easy a view as its 42mm counterpart.

For travel, the little 32mm is really nice. I recently lugged my 8.5 Swarovision through umpteen airports and at times I kind of wished I had the FL instead.

BTW, Eagle Optics has some FL demos right now and the 32mm is only $1300. Dennis still has his 32mm on Ebay for $1195. Offer him $1000 and see if he bites. ;)

The other thing to consider is whether to wait for the next generation FL, which I guess is only a month or two away. If it's as big a leap as the SV was, it might be worth the wait.

spacepilot,

I think the focus speed is the same. But my 32mm does focus down to about 5.5' or thereabouts. Very nice.

Mark

Both are great (I have 7x42, 8x32 and have spend some time with 8x42), but the only real reason for me using 8x32 would be weight and (personal preferences) ergonomics, and the field of view which is slightly better. All other things I like better in the x42 (especially eye placement and brightness).
Difference in focus speed and short focus are, if any, negligible.

spacepilot,

I think the focus speed is the same. But my 32mm does focus down to about 5.5' or thereabouts. Very nice.

Mark

Thanks, Mark. I've been thinking about getting a 8x32 FL because my wife needs closer than the 54mm minimum IPD on the Nikon EDG. We looked through a bunch of binoculars during a birding conference, and the 32mm FLs were the ones she was most comfortable with.

To the OP, after using 32mm binoculars for a couple years, I can't imagine having a 42mm for my main glass. The slightly better resolution and light gathering capability will be more than offset by the 32mm's lighter weight and handling characteristics.

Last edited:
Does the 8x42 have a slower focus than the 8x32? Also, the specification on Zeiss's website says both have a close focus of 6.56 feet. Does the 8x32 focus closer in practice?

My 8x32 focus just under 5 feet, which is closer than any of the 8x42 FL units that I've tried. Though the difference between 6.5 feet and 5 feet may not seem like much, it makes for a surprisingly big difference in functionality for butterflying. The feel of the focus ratio is similar for the 8x32 and 8x42; my comment about the quick and precise focus of the 8x32 FL related more to it being better than many other bins with similar close focus (some focus too quickly at distance, some focus too slowly close up--in comparison, the 8x32FL works well across the range).

--AP

Thanks for the clarification, AP. Yeah, at the close end, every foot count. I think my wife will be looking at insects a lot this year, since she enjoyed very much the entomology class she took last fall. She should like the 5 feet close focus of the FL vs the 8 feet of the Nikon EDG she's using now. Too bad she can't use the Leupold Golden Ring HD because the IPD doesn't fit. The pair I have probably focus down to 3.5 feet.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back