• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

2 Quick Questions? (1 Viewer)

Jasonbirder

Jason-occasional-twitcher
2 Quickies.....

Is it too early to get a Dark Arches in my trap? I had what I was 99% sure was one this morning but UK moths gives it a July-August flight time....Though Waring et al says June - August

Is Varied Coronet one I could reasonably expect in my trap? - More like 85% sure on this one, but nothing else seems to fit and the dark individual on www.leps.it seems a spitting image of mine - just not seen many on peoples catch lists so wondered about frequency in gardens....
(I`m Notts, well vegatated suburban garden)

Jasonbirder said:
2 Quickies.....

Is it too early to get a Dark Arches in my trap? I had what I was 99% sure was one this morning but UK moths gives it a July-August flight time....Though Waring et al says June - August

Is Varied Coronet one I could reasonably expect in my trap? - More like 85% sure on this one, but nothing else seems to fit and the dark individual on www.leps.it seems a spitting image of mine - just not seen many on peoples catch lists so wondered about frequency in gardens....
(I`m Notts, well vegatated suburban garden)

Hello Jason,

Two quick answers. lol.

It's possible that Dark Arches may be out in your area at this time. Flight periods quoted in books are frequently out by a week or two, or more. Flight periods have become earlier and earlier over the past 30 years.

The Varied Coronet is know to exist as far north as Yorkshire so you are within its known range.

Whether you actually got these species, well, you'll have to post pictures for others to verify.

Harry

My first Dark Arches on 8 June and had 9 on 10 June. One Varied Coronet on 6 June and two on 10 June. This is Elton near Peterborough.

Jasonbirder said:
2 Quickies.....

Dark Arches been on the wing for close to couple weeks now. Whats books etc give, is main flight period, exceptions are quite often. This eyar is a relatively early one with species turning up 2-3 weeks earlier than last year.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back