• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Raising Buff-tip larvae from eggs (1 Viewer)

Hobbes2

I'm not sure if anyone will be able to help or not but thought it worth asking.

After moth trapping last Thursday, a Buff-tip (Phalera bucephala) female laid 13 eggs in the specimen pot. The moth was safely returned to her environment. The eggs are currently in my fridge. I'd happily raise them to caterpillars and return them to the site, if it's possible?

If so, a few questions.
1. Should I keep them in the fridge or in a cool room?
2. From reading, the eggs hatch within 10-14 days. I presume I need to provide food at some point. If so, when? And, do I just stick a load of fresh leaves in the pot? I'd probably use Oak as it's plentiful and I've found Buff-tip caterpillars on Oak leaves in the past.
3. Where do I keep them generally - inside/outside/fridge/cool room?

Any help would be much appreciated otherwise the eggs will go to waste which seems a shame.

Thanks
Hobbes

Hi Hobbes
Unless you want to be constantly providing fresh leaves the best thing would be to keep them until they hatch and then release them back into the wild, from whence they came.
Keep them at room temperature (not in the fridge) and wait to see if they darken up.
They may, of course, be infertile. A moth in confinement will often lay eggs (e.g. if you trap Common Swift the bottom of the trap will be covered with hundreds of eggs).
Best wishes
Martin

Thanks Martin. Ok, I've taken them out of the fridge and will keep an eye on them. If they hatch, I'll return them to a juicy leaf ;)

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back