• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Australian Saturniidae (1 Viewer)

Dom F

The Saturniidae are some of the largest and most spectacular of Australias moths. In the last six months have had three species in the garden:
Hercules Moth - arguably the largest moth in the world (this one was photographed elsewhere but have two zip over my light without settling - very weird to see a moth larger than the bats flying around the light).
Syntherata janetta- a very variable species
Syntherata leonae - slightly smaller than janetta

Attachments

• hercules moth etty bay 21 9 14 (4).JPG
    hercules moth etty bay 21 9 14 (4).JPG
    397.8 KB · Views: 36
  • Synthereta   janetta 25 2 15 (1).JPG
    Synthereta janetta 25 2 15 (1).JPG
    343.3 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_2095.JPG
    IMG_2095.JPG
    34.9 KB · Views: 43
Nice. I didn't see any Saturniids while I was there unfortunately -- some stunning moths nonetheless though I wish I had a moth trap (or found anyone who did) to help things along.

I pretty much survived just walking along the streets and checking windows!

Nice. I didn't see any Saturniids while I was there unfortunately -- some stunning moths nonetheless though I wish I had a moth trap (or found anyone who did) to help things along.

I pretty much survived just walking along the streets and checking windows!

That can be very productive. A friend of mine regularly checks the sand below the street lights at Mission Beach (about 1.5 hours south of Cairns) and has had nine species of sphingid in a night! I find that powered camp sites with shower / toilet blocks are very productive if leaving you open for some exceedingly odd looks as you wander round with a camera!

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back