• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Identification E-mails (1 Viewer)

Paul Chapman

It is fun to try and identify moths from photos but often very tricky because of the detail supplied. This would be my guidance if I was seeking an identification:-

'Please state the date on which the moth was trapped and the location where it was trapped. Always try and give the approximate wing length in millimetres.

Try to check the hindwing if possible and confirm any features seen in that regard. Concentrate on the colour and whether there is an obvious spot, a darker border or a paler outer edge.

If possible state the local habitat eg garden, wetland, grassland, deciduous woodland or coniferous woodland.

If you have a potential identification, please confirm if you are aware that the foodplant is in the vicinity.'

Hope this helps. I tend to go through a three stage process - what does it look like, is it the right time of year and does the habitat/foodplant fit. Then often start again!

All the best

Hi Paul

Good idea. I'd add to that:

Only post pictures of moths taken in natural light. I see a lot on a different forum where they are clearly taken under mv light.

Martin

Hi Paul

Good idea. I'd add to that:

Only post pictures of moths taken in natural light. I see a lot on a different forum where they are clearly taken under mv light.

Martin

Although with the use of additional lighting I take 90% of my photos from around the Mv and the colour distortion is not too bad.
Here is Hamodes propitia taken during the night and then when I found it again the next morning so it is the same individual.

Attachments

• Hamodes propitia 4 8 15 (1).JPG
    Hamodes propitia 4 8 15 (1).JPG
    96.2 KB · Views: 38
  • Hamodes propitia 4 8 15 daylight (3).JPG
    Hamodes propitia 4 8 15 daylight (3).JPG
    247 KB · Views: 31
Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back