• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What container for DIY Robinson trap? (1 Viewer)

Winterdune

Hi all,

I'm about to make a Robinson trap (have bought the electrical bits from Paul Batty). The best plans on the internet (http://www.tcdigitalphotography.co.uk/diy_moth_trap.html) suggest a Garden Tidy Tub from Wickes but this is no longer available, or the Contico multi purpose tub on Amazon. I'm just wondering if anyone has made a Robinson trap recently and found a better container for it, or if anyone has used the Contico tub and can vouch for it being a decent alternative.

Many thanks
Sean

Last edited:
I used the largest rigid circular plastic tub from the local B&Q, but I don't think it matters too much what you use - even a cut-down plastic dustbin would be usable. In fact, I wonder whether a better design would be to use one of the square plastic storage boxes with a clear lid, and just cut a circular hole in the lid to the correct size to accept the funnel. This would avoid the need to make the cut-off cone, which is quite fiddly.

You can buy 'TUF Tubs' used by the building trade to remove rubble and other unwanted items from the site.
They are obtainable from Cromwell Tools a countrywide tool supplier. I buy the largest they sell for approx.
£10.00. They have a website that will tell you your nearest outlet. Just Google Cromwell Tools. These are deep and will hold a lot of large egg Papier Mache sheets. They are tough and have a rope handle on each side for carrying it about. Cheap and Cheerful but it does the job.

Harry

Thanks Harry. Yesterday in Homebase I found the slightly appropriately named "BeeTidy" tub for cheap but it seems a bit large to me (55cm diameter 42cm height) and it's cheerful colour slightly annoys me too, being a grumpy old sod, so I might take it back and get one of the ones you have suggested. The BeeTidy is also a little transparent and I would imagine that moths might not settle so well in it through the day if I am releasing them the following night.

Although you said you go for the largest Tuff Tub I think I might get the smaller 45cmx36cm version as it will be easier to find a pocket of space in my crowded shed for it...

Best wishes
Sean

Attachments

• beetidy.jpg
    beetidy.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 55
Sean,
Tuf Tubs only come in black which is handy. If you think you have storage problems in your shed, feel sorry for me, I have to lift the roof to drop something in. Open the door and you get trapped by the stuff falling out. lol.
Harry

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back