• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Butterflies (and one moth) Croatia. (1 Viewer)

string boozel

Hi, having just got back from a family holiday to Croatia I thought I might share a few observations in case anybody else finds themselves in the area. I stayed on the Dalmatian coast about 6km south of the town of Omis.

The main habitat was dry and rocky scrub with some cultivation and large areas of mainly young conifers. Although I was mainly looking for birds I was drawn to the large number of butterflies which in some places were so abundant that I struggled to focus on individuals.

I basically gave up on trying to identify many of the blues, they were far too active and combative to settle for long but I'm sure someone with more knowledge than I might meet with more success. I'll post some pictures of those species that I think were identified correctly but if I've dropped a clanger please say.

The first group of pics are of Swallowtails, the Scarce lacking one of its tails and also Hummingbird Hawkmoth.

James.

Attachments

• 146.JPG
    146.JPG
    198.6 KB · Views: 54
  • 385.JPG
    385.JPG
    207.6 KB · Views: 63
  • 291.JPG
    291.JPG
    247.6 KB · Views: 49
  • 245.JPG
    245.JPG
    199.2 KB · Views: 51
  • 156.JPG
    156.JPG
    131.9 KB · Views: 54
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back