• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

In my moth trap (1 Viewer)

Nerin said:
Sue if you get a moth trap you'll find there's no time to do anything else! - be warned!!

Thank you Nerine and Ken, though I get little enough now waiting for them to fly in the windows. Not so bad when they do, but when they don't...!

Their feet don't only stick to egg boxes, Nerine.
I brought one in from the balcony a couple of weeks ago to show my wife, and it flew out of the jar and round the room, she ran out and shut the hall door, and I tried to see where it had landed, but I couldn't find it anywhere until my wife started shouting and pointing through the glass door....and there it was attached to my trousers on my backside!! Apparently quite happy....no wonder I couldn't find it!! (Like the sage with the pigtail in that famous old poem!!)

Hi David,

That gave me the same laugh that Nerine got from it, a 'sticky' situation by the sounds of it! They do stick very firmly, even to feel them on my hand is really strange.

By the way David, just how good is Chinery's for Insects? I've heard quite a lot about it, but never seen one yet to judge for myself. I have smaller ones, but am wondering whether I should get it, or ask for it for Christmas! I had my Waring/Townsend Moth Fieldguide for my Birthday from my Daughter so I now move on to my Husband or Son!

Thanks in advance,

Sue.

There are several 'Chinery's - they are highly regarded. I think that 'Field guide to the insects of Britain and Western Europe' may be the best - but it is in no way comprehensive. I have B & Northern Europe. It's OK but you can rarely get a firm ID to species level.
Ken

Hello Ken,

Thanks very much indeed for your advice, but I've been 'talking' to Harry and have decided to stick with books for the ones I like the most and put others I'm unsure of on the boards for IDing. I have 2 general Insect ones which are quite good so I'll stick with them.

Thank you anyway Ken, I very much appreciate your help.

Sue.

Fair enough... I don't think anyone can hope to become an expert on all the insect orders. I have a book on hoverflies, for example, which I seldom use. Not because I'm not interested but because the blighters are very hard to photograph and I just don't have time to pursue everything.
Ken

Their feet don't only stick to egg boxes, Nerine.
I brought one in from the balcony a couple of weeks ago to show my wife, and it flew out of the jar and round the room, she ran out and shut the hall door, and I tried to see where it had landed, but I couldn't find it anywhere until my wife started shouting and pointing through the glass door....and there it was attached to my trousers on my backside!! Apparently quite happy....no wonder I couldn't find it!! (Like the sage with the pigtail in that famous old poem!!)

To continue this thread of 'cockchafers in strange places' my girlfriend woke up in the middle of the night last week after we'd been out on a mothing session feeling something climbing up her spine...

Mike

To continue this thread of 'cockchafers in strange places' my girlfriend woke up in the middle of the night last week after we'd been out on a mothing session feeling something climbing up her spine...

Mike

You didn't say whether she was frightened of it or was enjoying it Mike. Maybe she also thinks as I do, that they're gorgeous!;)

Sue.

You didn't say whether she was frightened of it or was enjoying it Mike. Maybe she also thinks as I do, that they're gorgeous!;)

Sue.

If you're going to be that pedantic, Mike doesn't actually say what it was that was climbing up her spine ;)
I only caught one last night, so perhaps their season is coming to an end - at last :'D
ken

If you're going to be that pedantic, Mike doesn't actually say what it was that was climbing up her spine ;)
I only caught one last night, so perhaps their season is coming to an end - at last :'D
ken

That's exactly what I was hinting at Ken, though far too much of a lady to actually say so. It looks as though you and I have our own thoughts and we'd best stick to them!o:D

I'm sure your thoughts on the Chafers are right as I haven't seen or heard one for 3 nights now. Back to Moths then!

Sue.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back