• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Surreybirder's lep blog (1 Viewer)

a few more pix

Attachments

• silver-ground carpet.jpg
    silver-ground carpet.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 84
  • straw dot.jpg
    straw dot.jpg
    122 KB · Views: 90
  • marbled minor agg 1.jpg
    marbled minor agg 1.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 97
  • marbled minor agg 4.jpg
    marbled minor agg 4.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 84
  • is it a moth.jpg
    is it a moth.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 88
What a catch and great photos Ken.

Nerine

Thanks, Nerine, you're doing pretty well yourself!
I've added to the list for 25th as I found a couple of moths in my shed which presumably flew out of the trap when I opened it. One is what I'm pretty sure is a pale oak beauty - confirmation would be appreciated. It is a whopper of a moth so I don't know how I missed it at the time! You cannot tell from the photo but it's almost old lay sized.
(The other escapee was tortrix that managed to fly out through the closed window - they are not exactly air-tight!)
Ken

PS Wingspan was 57 mm which is intermediate between POB and GOB

Attachments

• pale oak beauty 1a.jpg
    pale oak beauty 1a.jpg
    112.2 KB · Views: 92
Last edited:
One is what I'm pretty sure is a pale oak beauty - confirmation would be appreciated. It is a whopper of a moth so I don't know how I missed it at the time! You cannot tell from the photo but it's almost old lay sized.

PS Wingspan was 57 mm which is intermediate between POB and GOB

I don't feel in a position to confirm, Ken, not experienced enough so I'll leave it to someone else.

Nerine

I don't feel in a position to confirm, Ken, not experienced enough so I'll leave it to someone else.

Nerine

We're all on a learning curve... I only found out about the white apical spot underneath the fore-wing after I'd released it!
I wasn't at all sure about your 'marbled beauty' BTW.
Ken

29 May 2007

I found a pupa and a 'case' on willowherb yesterday. I'll keep them and see what emerges. The willowherb also had lots of larvae on it, but I believe they are beetle larvae. I don't think I'll keep them.
I also saw my first small copper butterfly of the year, despite the rather cool weather.
Ken

Attachments

• larva.jpg
    larva.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 97
  • pupa.jpg
    pupa.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 87
  • case.jpg
    case.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 83
Despite the wet, cold weather there were a few moths about yesterday. I saw a mother Shipton and a Nemophora degeerella. The trap was almost empty though - just 3 heart & darts and 1 common swift.
Ken

Attachments

• Nemophora degeerella  (650).jpg
    Nemophora degeerella (650).jpg
    97 KB · Views: 109
There seem to be quite a few moths flying around in daylight at the moment, grass veneers, various longhorns, green oak tortrix, some of the black and white tortrix sp. But my catch last night was pretty poor. The only new sp. for the year was a longhorn. Does anyone know it? (I assume it's one of the Nematopogon sp.)

Ken
PS I just found a macro on our shed (it was really obvious so I think it must have arrived in daylight). I think it's a varied coronet, which I've not seen before. Could someone confirm or otherwise, please?

Attachments

• longhorn 1b.jpg
    longhorn 1b.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 94
  • longhorn 1c.jpg
    longhorn 1c.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 98
  • varied coronet (650).jpg
    varied coronet (650).jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 83
Last edited:
I saw a big swarm of green oak tortrix today. They're clearly enjoying the hot sunny weather. I've also seen some nettle-tap moths, but they haven't posed for photos so far.
The other thing I've noticed is a no. (three) of larval cases. I don't even know if they are lepidopterous. They were attached to a gate post, a leaf, and an ox-eye daisy respectively. But I suspect that the latter two had fallen out of alder trees above.
Anyone know anything about them?
Ken

Attachments

• larval case 1 (650).jpg
    larval case 1 (650).jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 86
  • larval case 2.jpg
    larval case 2.jpg
    129.5 KB · Views: 87
I've had Varied Coronet and am happy that's what yours is. I guess the longhorn is metaxella but I think they can be tricky.

thanks, Brian.
I'll have to see whether my CR is happy to name the longhorn from my photos!
I had a spectacular catch last night but I decided to start a new thread. I have a feeling that people are getting tired of this one - and I don't blame them. Personally, I rather prefer the back and forth we used to have on the 'monthly' threads. I'll be interested to see whether others agree.
Ken

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back