• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Newcomer - ID'ing moths? (1 Viewer)

robmeades

Not sure what the protocol is in here, so apologies in advance if I get this wrong. We've a number of moths in our trap from the weekend before last that we have been unable to identify and wondered if anyone in here would be expert enough to offer some help? I've attached one of the pictures, but if you feel able to do a few more, they are at:

Moths from the 6th June trapping

Just hover your mouse over the pictures and the pop-up will indicate whether we think we've got that particular moth taped or not. Feel free to correct those we've misidentified as well of course...

Rob

Attachments

• unknown_6.jpg
    unknown_6.jpg
    170.6 KB · Views: 171
Hi Rob, Welcome to Bird Forum from Admin and Moderators.

Viewed your moth pic, outstanding shot. Sorry I can't help you on ID. We have an active group for Moths, Butterflies, etc. here at BF.
The Gallery contains a Moth section filled with pics from members around the globe, you might find your moth there.
Hope you enjoy the many Forums presented here.

Hi Rob and another welcome from the Mods. and Admin.
No particular protocol involved mate, feel free to post away any queries (be they moth or bird related). We have some really good moth-ers on here and I'm sure one of the guys will be along shortly with the answer to your identification quandary. I'd have a go myself, but with no access to my literature, I'd hate to get it wrong - these guys are forever picking on me ;)
Over to you Angus/Harry et al
PS But if I were forced to hazard a guess, I'd go for Green Arches.

I'd be surprised if the one pictured here isn't an Apamea sp. Some nice pics on the link. Only going for ones I know a bit below. Would be interested to know the others (and those I have wrong).

Row 1: Buff-tip, The Campion (wouldn't mind one of these), ?
Row 2: Heart & Dart x 2, Common Swift, Marbled Minor agg.
Row 3: ?, Rustic Shoulder-knot (pos Large Nutmeg), ?, ?
Row 4: Nope
Row 5: Shuttle-shaped Dart, Common Swift, ?
Row 6: ?, Clouded Silver, Garden Pebble
Row 7: Mottled Pug, Udea olivalis

Brian mentioned this forum when he and I communicated on the ukmoths e-group, so I thought I'd join up and have a look.

My view on the unknowns/queries are:
"Rufous Minor" - Rufous Minor isn't identifiable from external characteristics, it'll have to go down as Marbled Minor agg. (most likely is Marbled Minor)
Unknown 5 - worn Common Swift
Un 6 - Large Nutmeg
Un 8 - Large Nutmeg
Pale-shouldered Brocade - worn The Shears
Un 7 - Rustic Shoulder-knot
Un 10 - Rustic Shoulder-knot
Un 9 - Epinotia bilunana
Un 12 - Shuttle-shaped Dart
Un 16 - Large Nutmeg
"Beautiful Brocade" - The Shears
Un 2 - Garden Pebble, Evergestis forficalis
"Slender Pug" - looks like Mottled to me.

Not sure if CJW was querying The Campion in row 1, but it certainly is!

HTH

Mike
HantsMoths: http://www.bike2nature.co.uk

MikeWall said:
Not sure if CJW was querying The Campion in row 1, but it certainly is!
Hi Mike and welcome to Bird Forum from all the Moderators and Admin. Staff
If you're into moths, this is really the place to be, with some very knowledgable people contributing (and me)!
No, I wasn't doubting the Campion ID at all (it's common enough over here).

Nice to see you here Mike.

Chris repeated my question mark for the third moth in row 1 (although I now notice that the rows depend on how large your browser window is, which makes my list look a bit daft to some I should think). I hadn't noticed the labels so was having a go at all of them. I can now see this is labelled Light Brocade. Not one I've seen but looks good.

CJW said:
Hi Mike and welcome to Bird Forum from all the Moderators and Admin. Staff
If you're into moths, this is really the place to be, with some very knowledgable people contributing (and me)!
No, I wasn't doubting the Campion ID at all (it's common enough over here).

Hiya,
It's OK, I just wondered what the Beautiful Brocade comment was referring to?

Mike

brianhstone said:
Nice to see you here Mike.

Chris repeated my question mark for the third moth in row 1 (although I now notice that the rows depend on how large your browser window is, which makes my list look a bit daft to some I should think). I hadn't noticed the labels so was having a go at all of them. I can now see this is labelled Light Brocade. Not one I've seen but looks good.

Nice to see you too. Sorry Chris, I understand now (duh!). Yes, it's a Light Brocade - this has been a good year for them down my way in Basingstoke, Hants (they seem to occur mainly on the chalk in Hants), with at least 50 records so far - coming to an end now though.

Only 11 previous recs for Hunts but as its a limestone beasty I stand a chance as I have attracted a couple of others at my location so far. Another one to look out for.

robmeades said:
Not sure what the protocol is in here, so apologies in advance if I get this wrong. We've a number of moths in our trap from the weekend before last that we have been unable to identify <snip>

Rob
I'd like to add my welcome to mothforum.net -- whoops, I'll get into trouble with the non-moth-ers ;)
It's a great site (all of it, not just the moth stuff).

Ken

Coo - thanks!

Didn't expect quite such a large and knowledgable response! Thanks very much indeed. Summarising:

I'll take your word on Rufous Minor -> Marbled Minor, Brocades -> Shears, Unknown 12 -> Shuttle-shaped Dart and Slender Pug -> Mottled Pug.

Unknown 5 -> worn Common Swift looks spot-on.

Unknown 9 -> Epinotia bilunana, Unknown 2 -> Garden Pebble and Unknown 14 -> Udea olivalis are all bulls-eyes, most of which my copy of Skinner seems to omit but which ukmoths comes to the rescue on.
:clap:

The ones I'm really confused about are the Large Nutmegs and the Rustic Shoulder-knot. How do I distinguish between them? I've attached a picture of each to this post. Apologies for attaching pictures rather than links, but I (or my service provider) seems to be having problems with my homepage at the moment.

Attachments

• rustic_shoulder-knot_2.jpg
    rustic_shoulder-knot_2.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 118
  • large_nutmeg_3.jpg
    large_nutmeg_3.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 138
Last edited:
Hi Rob, I've taken a couple of liberties with the shots you posted and circled 3 main differences. Hope it helps.

Attachments

• Untitled-1.jpg
    Untitled-1.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 147
although I now notice that the rows depend on how large your browser window is <snip>
Should have fixed this now, but until the power comes back on at my web-host's ISP no-one's going to notice...

CJW said:
Hi Rob, I've taken a couple of liberties with the shots you posted and circled 3 main differences. Hope it helps.

Interesting. If I read you correctly, the Rustic Shoulder-knot has small black diamonds along the ends of the upper wings and large whiteish spots on the sides of the upper wings. What's the feature you've ringed near the head of the wee beastie?

It's the shoulder-knot! It's a black line that runs parallel to the thorax when at rest and at right angles to it in set specimens. If you look in your Skinner at any species called 'shoulder knot' (Blair's, Rustic, Grey etc etc) you will see they have this feature in common.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back