• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Moth (Butterfly?) ID help, please... (1 Viewer)

birdman

Орнитол&
No picture I'm afraid, but I saw a moth/butterfly brand new to me in Northumberland this week.

Total wingspan approx. 1.5cm, Glossy Black in colour with white or very pale blue on the very tip of the forewings. When settled, its wings were left open.

Any ideas...???

We get Chimney Sweepers in Worcestershire but they tend to like old meadows and as there are not a lot of those left they are not common. Nice looking moth though.

Thanks, Ken...

I'll probably make good use of that, as I have very little idea about butterflies, and almost no idea about moths.

And of course, there are just so many moth species that none of your "pocket" books do more than scratch the surface!

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back