• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Took back Nikon Monarch 5 8x42 got Vortex Raptor 6.5x32 (1 Viewer)

sarge1967

I had purchased a pair of Nikon Monarch 5 8x42 bins this past weekend. Tried to use them birding and the FOV just stinks.
So today I took them back to Cabela's and looked at some other bins. I tried quite a few different brands out and ended up going with Vortex Raptor 6.5x32s.
They fit all my requirements.
Waterproof
Good eye relief
Wide FOV
compact
Lightweight

Best of all they cost me $80.00 out the door. They were on sale, I had a 10% coupon and had a Cabela's bucks card for $10.00. I think I did good! :t:

What changed? I was under the impression they were too dim from your previous post?

Anyway, glad you got a pair you like. Great warranty, should last many many years

Well honestly they seemed the same as the Monarchs. Not as bright as the Nikon 7x35's but at the price I got them at I could not pass them up.

Well honestly they seemed the same as the Monarchs. Not as bright as the Nikon 7x35's but at the price I got them at I could not pass them up.

They will probably last a lifetime. Good brand, little far on the close focus but the ones I tried I was impressed with.

Yea the close focus is 15 ft. I think. The Nikon 7x35s are no better though.
I used them a bit this evening watching some Finches at the feeders in our yard. They are a lot better than the Monarch 5 are in the FOV dept. Not quite as wide as the Nikon Action 7x35s my wife uses but still great for tracking birds.

Sarge,

As the famous French tight rope walker used to say: WIDER IS BEDDER.

I find 6.4-6.5* for an 8x bin too tight for birding. It's hard enough to see with the brim of my patrol hat hanging down past my eyebrows to protect my nose from getting sunburn (now that we are no longer required to wear those silly berets), but then to have my view restricted further by a narrowish FOV bin adds insult to injury.

The 6.5x will also be easier for Otto to hold steady.

Enjoy!

Beetle

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back