• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Thrush ID Eastern Ontario Canada (1 Viewer)

I came across this thrush today in the woods and I can’t figure out what kind of thrush it is. This bird perched several times and never cocked its tail and lowered it slowly like a Hermit Thrush does. My best guess is Swainson’s Thrush, but maybe it could be Gray-cheeked?

Thanks!

Attachments

• Thrush.jpg
    Thrush.jpg
    166.6 KB · Views: 188
I'm only going on what's written in Collins Bird Guide, but grey-cheeked only has a half-eye ring, the spots are too weak for a veery, so could well be Swainson's
Not much help, I know...

Tony

nightheron91 said:
I came across this thrush today in the woods and I can’t figure out what kind of thrush it is. This bird perched several times and never cocked its tail and lowered it slowly like a Hermit Thrush does. My best guess is Swainson’s Thrush, but maybe it could be Gray-cheeked?

Thanks!

Looks like a Hermit Thrush to me - the facial pattern appears wrong for Swainson's and Grey-cheeked Thrush - but being from the other side of the Atlantic, I could be wrong!

Mark

I'd go with Hermit as well, based on the white eye ring and the largish well defined breast spotting. Not sure if Gray-cheeked could show both these features....

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back