• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Twite or Linnet? U.K. (1 Viewer)

royc

Not good pics,any help would be appreciated. Thx

Attachments

• jse_DSCN2193.jpg
    jse_DSCN2193.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 180
  • jse_DSCN2194.jpg
    jse_DSCN2194.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 156
  • jse_DSCN2197.jpg
    jse_DSCN2197.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 163
  • jse_DSCN2198.jpg
    jse_DSCN2198.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 204
No expert on these but I'd say Twite on first impression. From what I can see the bill looks yellowish on my screen and the tail looks like it has a decent fork in it.

Lets wait for the experts though....

It looks good for twite to me.. General jizz, looks smudgy around the throat (whereas linnet often look paler in this area), can't quite see the colour of the bill but it looks short and stubby.

Did it call?

Looks good for linnet on the last photo (the one most to the right) but the digital artefacts (pixel-stuff) makes it difficult to judge for sure wich species on the photos. So i guess this will be a never ending thread ;-)

i would say that overall through the pics the bird is a twite,but the last picture as already mentioned is good for linnet,what habitat/area was the bird in and did you take all these pics in a row,as they seem to show 2 different bill structures(1st 3,small,last pic-large) what colour was its bill and rump,that is the easy way to seperate twite

I see linnet, looks too grey headed, too large-billed - with a grey bill, has a dark throat streak and looks short-tailed.

From the look of your photo's, the structure of the bird and the fork tail, fits both birds. But for me the structure of the bill, fits Linnet, more than Twite. I cant make out enough of the primaries markings or primary coverts. So on bill structure, the bird is a Linnet.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back