• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Dorset birding (3 Viewers)

Longham Lakes 25 Nov 2010 1415-1530

Just seen the posting about Hoopoe. No sign when I went around.

Best bird for me Jack Snipe flushed twice from the pools on the eastern side of the large lake, brilliant views, last seen landing on the corner by the new tree plantation in SE corner.

Snipe 2 on crosstrack; Lapwing 2 on large island.
Little Egret 5; Heron 4
Great Crested Grebe 12; Little Grebe 6
Wigeon 79 (most on the crosstrack); Teal 8; Pochard 12; Gadwall 16; Shoveler 1.
Stonechat 2(a pair) in the dead scrub on crosstrack.

Bitterly cold wind, after fine start on arrival clouded over.

Ray

Last edited:
Yes, both Chris and I saw it this morning. It's on the eastern side of the big lake, on the slope by the standing water next to the outbuildings.

Presumably it will stick around and put our site on the map.

It's definite then - as in you have seen it as opposed to another report? Unfortunately no chance for me to try for it. weird time of year.

One wintered on the playing fields at Avonbourne School a few years ago, so unusual but not unprecedented.

Yes, both Chris and I saw it this morning. It's on the eastern side of the big lake, on the slope by the standing water next to the outbuildings.

Presumably it will stick around and put our site on the map.

Here it is.
Chris

Attachments

• P1040550.jpg
    P1040550.jpg
    273.8 KB · Views: 60
  • P1040576.jpg
    P1040576.jpg
    318.8 KB · Views: 72
Hoopoe at Longham

Still there early this morning (8am) - very very cold.
Also grey wagtail, 100+ wigeon, five egrets.
Chris

:cat: Emily asked me to post a cat too!

Still there early this morning (8am) - very very cold.
Also grey wagtail, 100+ wigeon, five egrets.
Chris

:cat: Emily asked me to post a cat too!

Still cold at 10.30 as repeatedly commented on by daughter and house guest that I dragged along. Unfortunately no Hoopoe to compensate!!!!! To busy with people (including birders). The site is just too popular for its open nature. I think we need to play down the site a bit! ;)

Still cold at 10.30 as repeatedly commented on by daughter and house guest that I dragged along. Unfortunately no Hoopoe to compensate!!!!! To busy with people (including birders). The site is just too popular for its open nature. I think we need to play down the site a bit! ;)

Went down late morning. Chap on his own had located the bird at the edge of the new plantation to the west of the pumping station. We relocated the bird about 12:30 (excellent views and photos), it then flew over to the pools just to the west of the pumphouse, then after feeding there for a while made its way into the field to the east of the pumphouse compound. Will post photos when I warm up.

Ray

Went down late morning. Chap on his own had located the bird at the edge of the new plantation to the west of the pumping station. We relocated the bird about 12:30 (excellent views and photos), it then flew over to the pools just to the west of the pumphouse, then after feeding there for a while made its way into the field to the east of the pumphouse compound. Will post photos when I warm up.

Ray

dohh! :-C

Hoopoe at Longham Lakes

I have no idea how this will come out. I am a photo uploading "virgin" please be gentle with me.

Ray

Attachments

• LL Hoopoe 3.jpg
    LL Hoopoe 3.jpg
    135.9 KB · Views: 65
  • LL Hoopoe 5.jpg
    LL Hoopoe 5.jpg
    174 KB · Views: 92
Hoopoe still there about half an hour ago, near the pumping station, c50m from the lake edge, in front of bright red building and propped up "GO" traffic sign. Sometimes hard to spot in fairly tall herbage.

Thanks to the geezer that put us on to it, and you guys doing this thread. The perfect bird to take my girfriend's mum to look at :t:

PS. Anyone know where the Great Grey Shrike on the RBA map for Dorset today is?

Last edited:
I have no idea how this will come out. I am a photo uploading "virgin" please be gentle with me.

Ray

Hi Ray,

Cracking photos Ray just hope its there today as I am down at my mother in laws at West Moors and my wife is going to drop me off at Longham around lunch time

Users who are viewing this thread

Back