• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

?Juvenile Sparrows Yellowstone/Grand Tetons in July (1 Viewer)

vernon

Whilst in Yellowstone and the Tetons last month I came across some incredibly confiding birds at 3 separate sites. In each case it was hard to get far enough away from the birds to photograph them! I could not identify any of these. I questioned the rangers at Jenny Lake and they suggested juv White-crowned Sparrow for the individual shown from there but it is not clear if all 3 are the same species. I hope someone can shed some light on these!

Vernon

1. On my balcony at Signal Mountain Lodge, Grand Tetons - Photos 1-3
2. At the Jenny Lake visitor centre feeding with cowbirds - Photo 4
3. Feeding at my feet on a boardwalk at Old Faithful - Photo montage 5

Attachments

• sm2.jpg
    sm2.jpg
    175 KB · Views: 48
  • sm3.jpg
    sm3.jpg
    133.7 KB · Views: 51
  • sm5.jpg
    sm5.jpg
    174.9 KB · Views: 40
  • jl 1.jpg
    jl 1.jpg
    451.3 KB · Views: 46
  • old faithful sparrow.jpg
    old faithful sparrow.jpg
    314.3 KB · Views: 46
Perhaps there is something I am not thinking of, but these all look like juvenile Brown-headed Cowbirds to me.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back