• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Id needed (1 Viewer)

At my local pond in roche,cornwall i think there is a cayuga but it has a white ring around it's neck i don't have a photo because i dont have a video camera, can you scan normal photos on to the computer?
Ther is also three other ducks that aren't mallards,thats what the other ducks are,can someone please post cayuga like ducks or offer a good website so i can get my ducks identified.
I know this post is really vague but any help at all would be great

Last edited:
Hi Joseph,

All the ducks you describe are almost certainly variants of domestic ducks, which are all originally descended from wild Mallards. Cayuga, for example, is a domestic breed but once it goes feral and breeds with other domestics and/or wild mallards you can get a bewildering array of variations. Try searching on here for "yuck ducks" or "manky mallards" or see http://10000birds.com/manky-mallards-domestic-feral-or-just-plain-odd-mallards.htm for more.

Actually, it's not quite true that all are descended from Mallards - there is also a feral population of Muscovy ducks - originally a native of South America these are found more and more often among "duck pond ducks". Wild Muscovies are largely dark but doemstic birds were bred white so these can be almost any pattern of black and white. However, being genetically very different to northern species including Mallards they rarely hybridise and hybrids are infertile. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muscovy_Duck

And welcome to BF!

Graham

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back