• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Rose Breasted Grosbeak (1 Viewer)

Tammie

Hi Forum! :hi:

Caught sight of a beautiful male rose breasted grosbeak at the feeder with the evening grosbeaks yesterday! I guess spring migration was just a little slower this year. You almost forget from year to year just how striking these birds are! I can't wait to see his girlfriend too. She's just as beautiful as he is!
:t:

Such a lovely shot of the male evening! I envy you so, grosbeaks are my feeder favorites, and we only get RB down here. I travel north to see evening and pine; the human natives, who are so used to them seem to find my enthusiasm for them vastly amusing. Oddly and delightfully, we had a black-headed at our feeder for one single day early on this spring! I must see a blue someday.

Joan or Matt... I'm not sure who wrote that! ;)
I fully agree with you about the blue... oh, how I'd love to see one! I'd love to see a black headed grosbeak too. I get evening grosbeaks most of the year, pines in the winter (nothing sings like they do!!) and the odd rose breasted in spring and fall. I haven't seen that male again that I saw yesterday. :( And I dearly miss the pines. They won't be back until October for the winter.
I figure you must look at grosbeaks the way I look at cardinals... which I've never seen! I've been teased unmercifully for wanting to see one so badly!

We had a major irruption of Pine Grosbeaks in our area LAST winter. It was so exciting! Big-time email postings of what flock was in which neighborhood when, and the birders crowding around shivering in the cold hoping to see a bright red male.

::sigh:: This past winter was just too tame (boring) by comparison. There are definitely some advantages to cold climes!

It is good to see migrant birds using your garden feeders. During March I had some Siskin drop in to feed. Here, where I live in the UK, they are more of a winter visitor. I had 3 that hung around for a few days before venturing further North.

If any one had Rose-breasted and Evening Grosbeaks in one spot in the UK it could lead to a massive twitch!

Yours

David Carr

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back