• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Zeiss, BT HD (1 Viewer)

harv 1

Iam going to take the plunge having had enough of second hand bins off e-bay the conquest has caught my eye no pun intended. Should I go BT or HD for general birding. Whats a girl to do? Thank you for any advise. Phil.

Hi

I tried the 8x42 HDs very recently and they are stunning. Bright and sharp and a delight to look through.

The only downside I could see was a bit of colour fringeing on dark objects viewed aaginst a very bright sky. Don't be put off by this though. For the money they are absolutely terrific and in fact punch above their price.

The only way to find out if they suit you is to try a pair out. I think you will love them.

Good luck.

Lee

I presume by BT you are refering to the conquest model before the HD.

The 8 and 10x40 versions of this model have been replaced by the 8 and 10x42 HD Conquest models.

The new 42mm Conquest HDs are greatly improved and are selling at a lower price than the original versions.

For general birding you would not go wrong with the HDs.

I had the pleasure of trying the Conquest HD model recently. Certainly, it is a very capable binocular and should give you wonderful years of service. However, the Victory is still tad better in terms of "ease of use". To be specific, I have found the Victory 8x42 (and 8x32) to be less critical in the placing of eye and the absence of black tunnel vision. The HD requires some discipline in its use to avoid those brief seconds if eyes are slightly off. With Victory prices now decreasing (at least in the US), perhaps you can add it into "to-consider" list. others in the forum can also advise. Best of luck, and enjoy in good health.

PS: I also think that FOV is slightly less...right?

Phil

I wear spectacles and tried the HDs out with the eyecups in the full down position and had no black outs whatsoever and found them very easy to use.

By the way the colour fringeing I mentioned earlier I would not notice during normal use, so please don't be discouraged by my remark.

Try before you buy is always the best way.

Lee

and...

Iam going to take the plunge having had enough of second hand bins off e-bay the conquest has caught my eye no pun intended. Should I go BT or HD for general birding. Whats a girl to do? Thank you for any advise. Phil.

Phil: let us know what you decide to get. And do a review! Some of the reviews of the HD Conquest have been rather picky and it would be nice to hear from someone who has actually used it in the field. Let us know.

John

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back