• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Zeiss monocular -- vintage? (1 Viewer)

Can anyone identify this monocular? I'm trying to figure out how old it is, but can't seem to find any info on Zeiss monoculars, except for the ones they are selling now. It says "West Germany" on the back. Very compact -- just 3.5 inches long.

Got it for 10 bucks!

Attachments

• PENTAX K-5_20120613_5653-5.jpg
    PENTAX K-5_20120613_5653-5.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 298
Hello Von,

The Zeiss logo is fairly modern, so it is old but not vintage.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur Pinewood :hi:

Hello Von,

The Zeiss logo is fairly modern, so it is old but not vintage.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur Pinewood :hi:
I mean it more in the sense of "what's the vintage?" I know it is not an antique. 70s? 80s? I find it surprising that anything made by Zeiss could be such a mystery -- most things you can Google and instantly find out about or find lots of ebay listings. I have only found something similar (a 8x20B with same styling) on a couple of pages internet-wide and one ebay sale. Maybe if I could read German...

Off the top of my head (I do not have my product lists to hand) this model was introduced in 1969 and replaced by the "Design Selection" version in the late 1990s.

It was well worth $10 !!!

Off the top of my head (I do not have my product lists to hand) this model was introduced in 1969 and replaced by the "Design Selection" version in the late 1990s.

It was well worth $10 !!!
I don't have any quality optics outside of camera lenses, so my eyes are unused to anything this good. The clarity is outrageous. I haven't compared it to any of the high-end current models, but for curiosity I looked through a few current monoculars at the store in the $30-$60 range. They really suck compared to this. I'll have to try one of the $300+ models like the current Zeiss.

I have a Zeiss catalogue from 1989, where an 8x20B (B for Brille or glasses) is listed, so it is probably older than this and would not have phase coating. It was nevertheless a steal for 10 dollars. In 1989 they cost DM310.

John

I have a Zeiss catalogue from 1989, where an 8x20B (B for Brille or glasses) is listed, so it is probably older than this and would not have phase coating. It was nevertheless a steal for 10 dollars. In 1989 they cost DM310.
So the B version would have replaced this, or would they have been out concurrently? I thought the B version was if you wear glasses, non-B if you don't.

As far as coatings, it does have the purplish hue I'm used to seeing with multi-coated camera lenses, and reflects back two different colors when looking at a lamp via reflection off the front glass -- amber & purple. (My quick and dirty test for seeing the general level of coatings on a lens -- more coatings = more colors. Usually you see amber and purple, and sometimes green and magenta.)

Amber and purple are pretty much what you see on the modern FL's. I'm betting the coating is not too far off of the modern T coating. That was a great buy.

I'd like the modern 6x18 myself if I was in the market I hear it's fantastic.

Nessus
The 6x18 is excellent and the close focus is stupendous. We have used a pair for years on all manner of nature subjects.
Lee

I have the 6 x 18. It is different than this 8 x 20 in that it uses a draw tube to focus. Close up focusing is indeed excellent. At normal distances it only takes minute adjustments of the draw tube to focus it because the depth of field is so deep.

I'm not sure if the current Zeiss 8 x 20 is a draw tube. it doesn't look like one on the Camera Land site which seems to show that it has standard twist focusing.

Bob

Bob

I have not handled and 8x20 but I am sure you are correct about it being a 'twist to focus' arrangement. There is no 'grip' at the objective end but there is one at the eyepiece.

The close focus of the 8x20 is 3 metres which is not close enough for our needs (this distance being covered by our bins).

Lee

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back