• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kentish Day 13.03.14 (1 Viewer)

jforgham

Birding for fun
A day in Kent was the plan, concluding with a talk at Gravesend on the birds of The Camargue region. I set off after the rush hour and headed to Oare Marshes near Faversham. As always, a good place for a spot of birding. Usual fare was seen through quite heavy mist which meant no photographs would be worthwhile. Avocets and redshanks were on the small scrape by the road, with curlew on the tidal mud flats. Viewing anything over 20 yards away was impossible but in the gloom, pintail, pochard, shoveler, wigeon and teal were noted whilst overhead linnets, reed buntings and goldfinches called.
After this I set off for Elmley Marsh on the Isle of Sheppey. A reserve I haven't visited for a fair few years. As I drove in a female merlin shot across the road and perched on a post, but still too gloomy for any long distance photography. Little egrets, redshanks, grey herons and lapwings were seen as I drove to Kingshill Farm car park. Also, marsh harriers seemed to be everywhere.

Once parked, I checked the pools over the farm wall, where good numbers of regular wildfowl were noted (mainly wigeon) and a few egrets and avocets.

On to the track to the Well Marsh hide and plenty of reed bunting and more of what had already been recorded. In the distance a common buzzard overhead and a peregrine came to land several fields away. The mist was still making long range photography impossible, but the sky was brightening and the mist was being burnt off, albeit slowly.
Into the hide and a cacophony of black headed gulls. A marsh harrier took a wigeon and alighted on the ground to feed. Pintail flew through and several snipe were noted on one of the islands.

Soon, my time was running out and so I headed back to the farm hoping for some short eared owl views. None by the time I got to the car, just more marsh harriers, several curlew and some meadow pipits

As I drove along, I suddenly saw movement in the grass by the side of the track. A short eared owl. I stopped the car, but too close, all I could get in the photo was the car door. Eventually, the bird took flight:
After a short while the splendid bird landed in a field. I reversed the car for some more photos.
The bird then took to the air once again and began hunting over the long grass on the otherside of the track. This was better as less likely to be a silhouette photo as I now had my back to the sun. As I watched I became aware of another bird in the grass.
One bird remained in the air and made several passes before both went down. By now there were 3 cars stopped and occupants viewing these spectacular birds.
Just brilliant to watch this majestic bird at such close quarters. Certainly not an every day birding sight and the best views of this species I have had for many years.
Cheers,Jono
PS Many more photos on my blog.

Attachments

• short eared owl (10).JPG
    short eared owl (10).JPG
    60.7 KB · Views: 48
  • short eared owl (11).JPG
    short eared owl (11).JPG
    65.6 KB · Views: 43
  • short eared owl (2).JPG
    short eared owl (2).JPG
    92.7 KB · Views: 37
  • marshie (1).JPG
    marshie (1).JPG
    72.9 KB · Views: 33
  • little eg (2).JPG
    little eg (2).JPG
    100 KB · Views: 32
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back